77' 40 Project Old Blue or Blue Thunder

Visit site
Hello all. My name is Robert and I have a problem.......this seems a fitting way to start a post about the struggle with parts addiction and wanting to find solutions to problems you don’t really understand.

I have been in a 200 series since 2013 and hanging around with the wrong sort of people ever since. On May 4th I took the plunge and bought a 1977 40 project. We don’t have a solid name yet but I’m not gonna make DangerNoodle’s mistake. J We are working with either “Old Blue” or “Blue Thunder” the lack of good muffler is the driver for the second choice.

I have been reading and planning my work out in the list fashion. Function, safety, baseline, cosmetic

Function

Problem
: Truck ideals well, revs while parked. When I pull out of the driveway if I wind it to approximately 2500-3000 rpms (guess as I don’t have a tach) it begins to stutter, I shift to second and stay in the gas. The truck begins to surge, stutter, then stalls. It will not restart after this.

Trouble shooting steps: The steps I have taken so far to address the issue started with the old rusty fuel tank. I replaced it. The fuel in the clear fuel filter is clean now. The problem persisted. I replaced all of the soft fuel lines. The problem persisted. I replaced the fuel pump. The problem persisted. I changed the points and set them to .018. The problem persisted. I verified the timing is at 7°. I checked the gap and condition of the plugs. I sprayed carb cleaner, all over the engine it feels like, trying to determine if I have a vacuum leak. I wasn’t able to hear a rpm change. I rebuilt the carb…….I re-watched the Jim C videos and rebuilt the carb again. I am back to where I started except it idles better now. The exact same symptom when out for a test drive. It acts like it isn’t getting enough fuel.

The problem persists.

Next Steps: I ordered a vacuum meter.

Thoughts and ideas appreciated
old Blue.jpg

Last edited:
Visit site
Might seem basic but did you check for kinked lines or a second fuel filter?

Beautiful color. I’m stuck with white.
Thank you, she is going to need a respray the other quarter is a different color blue.

Is there normally a second fuel filter somewhere in line? I may get a gas can and bypass the hard line from the tank, just to see what happens.

Visit site
highrisk - might be a guess but I had a similar issue and it turned out to be a bad gas cap. It wasn't venting properly, causing irregular fuel flow. Bought a new cap - no more issues.

Visit site
I had a similar problem and there is a little fine mesh screen in the banjo bolt where the incoming fuel line attaches to the carb. It would clog with debris and then after sitting a few minutes would open up a bit and run again. Somewhat solved the issue by using the glass "hot rodder" filter in front of a fram paper filter. I still need to clean it every few hundred miles.

Visit site
Thank you guys, I will check my gas cap and make sure my fuel inlet isn't blocked. The fuel inlet was clean after the carb rebuild.

Visit site
As a hypothetical, asking for a friend, type situation what would happen if the fuel line was swapped with the fuel return line from the carb?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom