'77 40 Front Axle C Clip vs Washer/Washer Diameter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wrapping-up the front axle refresh. When I purchased the vehicle it had a descent pair of SuperWinch locking hubs that I'm reusing. The left side had a washer & nut at the end of the birf. The right side had nothing. You can see by the pic that the birf does not protrude out far enough for a snap ring. I'll need another washer/nut for the right side. The one washer from the left side is 41mm dia. (1-5/8"). Can anyone confirm this is the correct diameter washer?

FYI- I could not locate gaskets for the SW hubs so I used grey gasket maker.

thanks

20220408_092044.jpg

20220408_092118.jpg

Your washer has to be a larger diameter than the birfield splines and fit the bolt properly . Folks usually use a fender washer.

Your washer has to be a larger diameter than the birfield splines and fit the bolt properly . Folks usually use a fender washer.
Thanks. I'm also concerned about it being too large and interfering with the lock out hub operation.

Thanks. I'm also concerned about it being too large and interfering with the lock out hub operation.
Yep, you're right. The lockout end needs to engage the birfs splines. Fender washers usually come in different od's too. Take your center bolt and lock out end with you to the hardware store, or your other washer. I think a std washers od for the bolt diameter maybe to small.

I found a 3/8" X 1.625" fender washer that has the right diameter to retain the birf but doesn't interfere with the locking hub splines but the bolt hole was too large to keep it centered. I turned a small shoulder on a 8mm capscrew that keeps the washer centered. (I used a longer capscrew to chuck it into the lathe then cut it to proper length.) This worked well so I made another for the other side. But on the other side (right side) I was able to use a snap ring. I must have right and left birfs from different vehicles. Note the rust bloom on the new rotor because the humidity in my pole barn shop is terrible.

shoulder bolt1.JPG

shoulder bolt.JPG

FL Corner.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom