'77 2F Head Bolt question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I had occasion to take off my valve cover and discovered that of the 15 head bolts that I'm supposed to have, I only have 14. The one that is centered front-to-rear on the head on the passenger side has gone missing. So I tried to see if one of the other head bolts would thread into that hole (just to make sure the stud wasn't broke off or anything) and discovered that that hole is deeper than the other 14...so what's the deal? Is this bolt special? I haven't had time to really research it and figured some of you guys would love to show off your knowledge of 2F engine hardware ;p

As I recall all the bolts are the same size. That centered one has to go on before the rocker assembly. Sounds like some one did some head work and got lazy when they put it back together.

Robert LaDuke said: Sounds like some one did some head work and got lazy when they put it back together.
...or got cute, thinking it would be easier to build-up the head with rockers, etc. before bolting it to the block...

Yeah but iirc that is the first bolt to get torqued. I'd wonder if the head was torqued properly.

wesintl said: Yeah but iirc that is the first bolt to get torqued. I'd wonder if the head was torqued properly.
Yep. #1. Last off first on.
That's not one of the head bolts exposed to the waterjacket or crankcase spaces, is it?

wesintl said:
Yeah but iirc that is the first bolt to get torqued. I'd wonder if the head was torqued properly.
Seems to me that the person that is too lazy to remove the four nuts that hold on the roccker assy. in order to install that headbolt is probably way too lazy to torque 15 headbolts.

Hm...so I'm gathering that it's the same size as the others...but it's UNDER the rocker assembly? So I have to remove the rocker assembly to get to it? Are there any potential (alignment or otherwise) problems associated with doing this? Like will the head try to shift around if I get all the other bolts out to try and put this one in first? I am DEFINITELY going to take another look at this before I start getting in too deep...

I would take the rocker assembly off first, then insert the #1 headbolt. Break the other headbolts loose and retorque. You don't need to remove them so nothing should shift. Just follow the pattern in the FSM or Haynes.

I would remove the rocker assembly, and make damn sure that there is nothing in that hole when you run the bolt in the block. If there is oil or other junk in the hole, when you try and tourqe the bolt up, it WILL damage the block, ie crack it, not just damage the threaded area. I have seen this occur on many an engine, from chev small blocks, to Caterpillar and Cummins. Very important detail to not overlook!

I would NOT break any of the other head bolts loose, and then tourque them all. I would simply install the missing one after checking out the hole, tourque it, and then check the tourqe of the rest of them, but that is just me.

Good luck!

-Steve

Good luck!

Okay, will give it a try tomorrow and my dad will be there to help and guide me since he's actually been into engines before (but he's been on vacation 'till now) and I'll see what I come up with. Thanks a bunch guys.

Got it figured out...the 15th bolt was under the rocker assembly like you guys said...I just couldn't see it last time. Where I thought the bolt was supposed to go was actually the oil drainback passage to the crankcase (no wonder it wasn't threaded :eek: ), so all I had to do was retorque the head bolts, put the manifolds back on and now there's just a couple details until Brahma's running again! Thanks again guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom