76+ Wiper switch diagram/schematic? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have this available? I went to wire in my 76+ switch last night and realized the 74 wiring diagram I have is different :doh:

If anyone has it or can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

The Haynes manual has lots of wiring diagrams. It's only $20 or so.

09/73- 09/77 are the SAME SWITCH.

1976 Wiper Wiring
Wiper wiring1.jpg

OK guys, here is where I am getting confused. On my EZ wiring harness I have a wiper switch power wire and a wiper switch ground wire. ON Coolermans site it says there isn't a 12v going directly to the switch.

So does this mean I should forget that it says "switch" and run it straight to the wiper motor instead of the switch? Because as of right now I am not seeing any other way the wiper motor will get power...

Thoughts? And thanks :)

Jonny,

Yes, forget that the EZ Wiring kit's wire label has the word "Switch" in it. You'll run this wire all the way to the wiper motor mounted on you windshield. (I marked it with Yellow on the attached picture).

From there the wiring connections between the motor and switch supply the motore speed and the grounding for the circuit to be completed.

I don't recall my EZ Wiring kit having a wire labeled ground for the wiper switch. I took my switch ground to the same wire I grounded all the instruments light with. If you have a wiper switch ground wire in your harness, then you can connect it there. (Green in diagram)
Wiper.JPG

Jonny,

Yes, forget that the EZ Wiring kit's wire label has the word "Switch" in it. You'll run this wire all the way to the wiper motor mounted on you windshield. (I marked it with Yellow on the attached picture).

From there the wiring connections between the motor and switch supply the motore speed and the grounding for the circuit to be completed.

I don't recall my EZ Wiring kit having a wire labeled ground for the wiper switch. I took my switch ground to the same wire I grounded all the instruments light with. If you have a wiper switch ground wire in your harness, then you can connect it there. (Green in diagram)

Nik,

You are a life saver - thank you. I am so close to finishing this refresh, but this was putting a real kink in my progress. I am not for sure it is a ground for the wiper switch, it is just a solid black wire so I presumed (foolishly) that's what it was for. I will trace it back and see where it is going.

This will give me something to work on tonight so I can get my dash put back together. Thank you again Nik. :cheers:

Jonny

Here's another view taken from the details of your other post on wiper switch wiring.

I labeled where your EZ Wiper Power will connect to the wiper motor.

I also noticed that the wiper switch grounded via the dash the wiper motor is grounded via the windshield frame so there is no separate wire to connect for grounding.

It took me a bit to understand how it all worked since I think we all intuitively think the power should go to the switch and then to the motor. Not the case with this circuit because of how they accomplished the two speeds of the wiper.
Wiper 1.JPG

Here's another view taken from the details of your other post on wiper switch wiring.

I labeled where your EZ Wiper Power will connect to the wiper motor.

I also noticed that the wiper switch grounded via the dash the wiper motor is grounded via the windshield frame so there is no separate wire to connect for grounding.

It took me a bit to understand how it all worked since I think we all intuitively think the power should go to the switch and then to the motor. Not the case with this circuit because of how they accomplished the two speeds of the wiper.

Nik,

Thank you again for your help here - greatly appreciated.

If I may ask one more silly question? Where exactly should I connect my EZ wiper switch wire? Should I tap into the blue wire between the motor and the plug? Should I tap in after the plug? Do I just need to attach power anywhere on the blue wire?

Thank you sir,
Jonny

If you look at the drawing in post #11 and in figure 12-43 it shows the plug that is attached to motor. The power wire from EZ wiring connects to the post marked "B". I wasn't sure if you had the mating connector so if you do, it's the wire that connect to "B" post. (my notes say it's the blue wire.) I didn't have a mating connector when I did mine so I just attached a spade female connector to the "B" post of the motor connector (you have a picture in your other post on wiper wiring).

All the other wires on the connector run to the switch (e.g. the +1 on the motor connector in figure 12-43 goes to the +1 post on the switch in figure 12-44. +2 to the +2 post and "S" to the "S" post.

If you look at the drawing in post #11 and in figure 12-43 it shows the plug that is attached to motor. The power wire from EZ wiring connects to the post marked "B". I wasn't sure if you had the mating connector so if you do, it's the wire that connect to "B" post. (my notes say it's the blue wire.) I didn't have a mating connector when I did mine so I just attached a spade female connector to the "B" post of the motor connector (you have a picture in your other post on wiper wiring).

All the other wires on the connector run to the switch (e.g. the +1 on the motor connector in figure 12-43 goes to the +1 post on the switch in figure 12-44. +2 to the +2 post and "S" to the "S" post.

Nik,

Thank you for your response. I actually do have that connector, so that's why I was a little confused. If I were to spade that one that I'd lose my plug. I guess that's not too big of a deal... I can just spade them all. Right now I just want to get it finished up so I can get everything put back together. Thank you again,

Jonny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom