76 tub on a 74 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hobbes

SILVER Star
Threads
I've got a 74 that is rusted. Got a line on a 76 body that is in better shape. I did a quick search and it seems the body should bolt to the frame okay. What about the hard top, rear doors, side doors, fuel tank, windshield, ect? It would save a ton of time, and money, for me to swap bodies but I want to keep the hard top. Also, wasn't the fuel tank moved under the body by then?

Sorry for not using the searching in greater depth, but I'm in a country with limited Internet, and I need to purchase the body before I get home. I don't have the access time to do a traditional search (which, I might add, can be an enjoyable hobbie!).

Thanks...John

nc is another country?

I've got a 74 that is rusted. Got a line on a 76 body that is in better shape. I did a quick search and it seems the body should bolt to the frame okay. What about the hard top, rear doors, side doors, fuel tank, windshield, ect? It would save a ton of time, and money, for me to swap bodies but I want to keep the hard top. Also, wasn't the fuel tank moved under the body by then?

Sorry for not using the searching in greater depth, but I'm in a country with limited Internet, and I need to purchase the body before I get home. I don't have the access time to do a traditional search (which, I might add, can be an enjoyable hobbie!).

Thanks...John

There is alot of info on this if you do a search, 76 has a lip in back for ambi doors, front door stirkes are different. If you have your eye on a good oem tub....buy it because there are very few left out there. All the differences are minor and if you can swap a tub you can make the changes. good luck.

Live in nc. Work OCONUS.

Thanks. I knew they went to the ambi doors. Not sure what I can do about that. Not sure about how good the tub is either, since it is site unseen....

74 hardtop will bolt onto 76 tub. Windshields are different, but the 74 top will bolt onto a 76 windshield with minor mods... Or simply bolt the 74 windshield onto the 76 tub.

Check out "Hard top play" in my signature line for more detailed answers.

Both have tanks under pas seat. 78ish they went under the tub.

79 was the major tub changed which included the fuel tank moving out of the tub and was bolt to the bottom of the tub. Putting barn doors on teh back shouldn't be to hard. I believe a thread away back said you can use the bottom or top catch for the ambulance doors on to use earlier doors on a later top.

Not hard to switch tubs during these years. Site unseen, I would make sure the tub is as advertised. Can someone local look at it for you? Even in AZ clean tubs are hard find. Most clean tubs are still attached to the rest of the vehicle and aren't parted out. IF there are parted out the tubs usually aren't that clean. I was able to pick up a clean tub a few years ago. Only reason was the PO sold the frame/VIN plate/title to TLC for a Icon. Not sure TLC is buying frames from the East Coast.

Thanks for all the help. The tub is at BTB, i believe, in vegas and I do have a good friend there to look at it. The rockers need repaired, but the rear fenders and wheel wells are better than mine. I think I'd be paying just a bit more for the tub than I'd pay for new metal, but it should save me from butt welding both rear fenders. That would be money well spent, if I can make everything work. Price difference is only a couple hundred. The plan would be to keep the barn doors if I can, since they are all I have.

I'd want my windshield on the new tub. I'm a sucker for the top mounted wipers, despite their short comings. Off to read the thread...

Thanks again...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom