76 Mustard yellow FJ40 in Northern Cal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice work, jealous of your blue and gold plates! I wish CA DMV offered those new. I have personalized plates and would love to switch them out for the period correct colors.
I'll also offer any help I can for smogging your friends rig, I've been getting my 2/76 to pass for 20 years now.

Nice work, jealous of your blue and gold plates! I wish CA DMV offered those new. I have personalized plates and would love to switch them out for the period correct colors.
I'll also offer any help I can for smogging your friends rig, I've been getting my 2/76 to pass for 20 years now.
Still can get Blue/Yellow plates. I did thru DMV's YOM program. I bought my plates from a collector/restorer then had them assigned to my 1970. Try this guy.

Store - https://www.davesclp.com/featured.html

That would be great. I’m sure I’ll have some questions when the time comes. Were are you located?

Still can get Blue/Yellow plates. I did thru DMV's YOM program. I bought my plates from a collector/restorer then had them assigned to my 1970. Try this guy.

I did the DMV’s YOM program as well. I was lucky enough to be given these plates by a friend who had him hanging on his garage wall. They were from his old nova that was same year as my cruiser.

I did the DMV’s YOM program as well. I was lucky enough to be given these plates by a friend who had him hanging on his garage wall. They were from his old nova that was same year as my cruiser.
Thanks, I wasn't clear in my post. I want to keep my personalized plate [2F FJ40] but get it in the blue and gold.
It's a no-go, unfortunately.

Thanks, I wasn't clear in my post. I want to keep my personalized plate [2F FJ40] but get it in the blue and gold.
It's a no-go, unfortunately.
Personalized plates were available back in 76... ;)

2F_FJ40.png

Sweet nice score on the mustard top. I am in Lincoln and looked for a matching mustard top for my 40 for a while but then gave up. Come up to your local Landcruiser group in Auburn sometime. It's called Totally Awesome Cruisers on Facebook.

Been getting the doors sorted out. New weatherstripping which was a total pain in the ass. Also built my own door panels out of plywood and gray canvas. I used some arm rests out of a mid 80’s toy truck that I had laying around. Came out pretty good. I rebuilt the hinges as well. The doors are extremely hard to close with the new weatherstripping. I’ve tried adjusting them multiple times. Any tips would be appreciated. The top is making contact with the door way before the latch does, if that makes sense. I’m hoping the weatherstripping just needs to break in. 🤷‍♂️

0BB318BF-A083-4BC2-A350-086373B18CA5.jpeg

0586CEEC-5080-4047-8292-9BE4D8E4A14E.jpeg

4C0D1F0A-7CF9-4510-9C76-E29EB775B43A.jpeg

Been getting the doors sorted out. New weatherstripping which was a total pain in the ass. Also built my own door panels out of plywood and gray canvas. I used some arm rests out of a mid 80’s toy truck that I had laying around. Came out pretty good. I rebuilt the hinges as well. The doors are extremely hard to close with the new weatherstripping. I’ve tried adjusting them multiple times. Any tips would be appreciated. The top is making contact with the door way before the latch does, if that makes sense. I’m hoping the weatherstripping just needs to break in. 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 3265572

View attachment 3265573

View attachment 3265574
What kind of weatherstripping did you use? The OEM stuff has a lot of give to it, more of a foam rubber. You may be aware, but you can also easily adjust the “hook” type thing that the door latch latches onto. Just loosen the two JIS screws slightly and move it as you wish. That’s admittedly cheating though and doesn’t truly fix the problem though. But it’s what I did.

What kind of weatherstripping did you use? The OEM stuff has a lot of give to it, more of a foam rubber. You may be aware, but you can also easily adjust the “hook” type thing that the door latch latches onto. Just loosen the two JIS screws slightly and move it as you wish. That’s admittedly cheating though and doesn’t truly fix the problem though. But it’s what I did.
I used the aftermarket stuff from cool cruisers. I do think it’s going to break in some and get better. I’ve already adjusted the striker hook thing out. It’s almost like the top has spread over time. It’s definitely not in the greatest shape. Sucks having to slam the crap out of the door to close all the way. Maybe I’m just being too nit picky.

Sweet nice score on the mustard top. I am in Lincoln and looked for a matching mustard top for my 40 for a while but then gave up. Come up to your local Landcruiser group in Auburn sometime. It's called Totally Awesome Cruisers on Facebook.
Thanks. I got lucky for sure on the top. I joined the FB group a few weeks back. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom