76 FJ40 wont stay running... need opinions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Having a problem keeping a 76 fj40 running after a short start. Everything is stock except the carb. I do love aisin carbs but have had problems with the stock one and a new repro from online. Got tired of the difficulty and threw on a Motorcraft some years back. ( I used texicans post ) It ran very well. I posted about it here. No regrets...We are getting clean fuel to the intake.
Our current problem is not the carb. With a pump of the pedal gas shoots down the venturis and she's ready to go. She starts momentarily then dies. Not even starter fluid will get her to pop. So We are getting clean fuel.. we installed new tank, new filters, mechanical fuel pump has been check and all is good. So heres where I need help. I'm sure its electrical. New battery ..The dizzy is fairly new as is the rotor. New plugs and points are adjusted correctly.
throw out a few suggestions ... Im thinking coil- ignitor.. could use some advise on how to track down this gremlin.
TIA
Bennett

image3.jpeg

If it dies just as you release the key from "start" to "run", then I'd suspect the ignition switch.
If it runs a bit while in the "run" position, then I wouldn't.

^^ good clue.
It was running fine until.... You did a bit of work.
Re-check all of the new work, points gap?
There may be crud in the fuel bowl of the Motorcraft carb?
Coil-igniter seems logical too, unfasten the attaching bolts, clean up any corrosion and refasten. Might be weak ground.

PCV valve? Probably too simple, but changing mine out made a huge difference when mine kept dying after start-up.

I agree, it sounds like your ignition switch... you turn the key to “start”... it starts... you release the key and it (should) return to “run” and it dies. The switch is either not stopping at “run”, or, more likely, the ignition is worn out.

It’s a forty+ year old FJ40... the ignition switch has been used a few times.

I would invest ~$70 in a new ignition switch... or, you can hot wire around the ignition switch and see if it runs with the switch eliminated from the equation.

I had a bad ballast resistor way back when. My 40 would start but not run. Fairly inexpensive and easy to replace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom