76 FJ40 gearbox replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all

1st post here. I have been looking for a 5th gear for my 76 cruiser, and I have found a '82 SR5 Hilux gearbox. I would like to know if that will fit, and if so, what modifications need to be made...

Thanks in advance...

i wouldn't do this swap myself... the hilux gearbox's arent that strong, cruisers are heavy, and their motors are torquy

Thanks for your reply, I have found that his car REALLY needs a 5th gear. I'm sure all you other FJ40 drivers will agree. The other option is to change the gear ratio's.

I am not sure how to do that, and I am putting my money towards a total re-spray.

I want to know if this gearbox will fit in at all, and if it can, what needs to be done..

Thanks again

Depends on what you want to do with your rig. If you are focusing on highway driving with it, then I agree that 5th would be nice. If you are typically in town or off road, then no, a 5th gear isn't necessary. I don't want 5th in mine, so no, not all 40 drivers want 5th.

3rd that... i don't need no 5th and i drive interstate with mine

F, 2F or V8 motor?

bigger tires will bring your revs down at speed... so will throwing in a pair of 3.70:1 3rds out of a newer 40/ 60 series

Welcome to the world of slow. LC's are by no means race cars. You have several options as mentioned above done 10,000,000 times buy 10,000,000 people. Read up and educate yourself.

There are many ways to get an overdrive: bigger tires, change ring and pinion ratios, buy the LC 5 speed and a spilt case, go with an automatic transmission w/ overdrive such as the 700R4 and fab, fab, fab.

Do a search...been covered to death in every form of media available including Toyota Trails, Land Cruiser Mailing List, I8HMUD, POR and I'm sure 500+ others. Search for "H55F"

Be ready to spend some money. I understand the H55F is like $2K and that doesn't include the spilt transfercase, figuring out what to do with the parking brake that wil be removed, drive shafts, custom mounts, it goes on and on and on and on.

Welcome and read up!

PS: Word to the wise....some LC owners will get offended when you call your truck a 'car'. Oh, and make sure your bezel is not upsidedown!

Last edited:
Well, nobody is answering the question. I don't know either, but I don't recall ever reading about anyone doing this swap, which makes me think it maybe isn't worth the trouble. (I read everything I could find about Chevy drivetrains in Cruisers, but I didn't actively search for other Toyota tranny options.)

Given the number of Toyota trucks on the road, someone somewhere must have done this swap!

Thanks for the info guys.

I think they are around 30 anyway. I would like this gear, as I do a lot of driving to and from work, and my work can take me anywhere, normally to large blocks of land. To get there is a bit of highway, and then rocky roads.
So I guess I do both.

I might get new tires. I was talking to a mate today about it, and he said that the Hilxu gearbox's are reknown for dying. Maybe new tires are the go.

Thanks again.

PS - Anyone got some for sale in Vic?

if your after tires second hand try www.outerlimits4x4.com and go to the tires/wheels/wheelspacers section

and there are locals there too... for when these guys give you the irrits with being able to buy 38 inch tires cheaper than we get re treads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom