76 FJ40 gas tank pads missing? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

South Texas 97

GOLD Star
Threads
I just drained and pulled the gas tank to discover there are no rubber pads, is this normal? The tank has been painted on the outside and while there is a small amount of surface rust inside, not worth doing a lining, in my opinion.
I will derust and paint the floor and replace all the hoses and rubber bits
D9FB4C5D-54F0-45EB-89E0-7AE4CB3D5B2D.jpeg

CB05E89A-35DC-4CEB-A849-590935996B09.jpeg

Not normal to not have pads to cushion the tank. Factory pads are felt. This was my solution as I felt that the felt pads would tend to hold moisture. Check post #42 in this thread.

Byron, thanks, that is perfect. Will do the same.

Mine had the ‘carpet’ strips, I replaced them with three or four strips of generic weatherstripping. Oh and I found an original key under it!

Last edited:
All of the 40s I've had, including my current one, had 3-mm thick rubber pads under them and on top of them. This is consistent with what the fiche shows, too.

FWIW, I replaced mine with 1/8" x 3" gasoline resistant rubber when I pulled my tank to clean the floor. The OEM pads were pretty much gone. The OEM pads are 3x75-mm, which the same size. The length is entirely up to you. I think Toyota cut them too short; IIRC they were 3 and 4 inches long(ish).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom