76 fj40 disc brakes to 72 front axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It depends on If you are putting up the front diff no big deal will probaly just have to redo the brake lines If you are just swapping the brake stuff there is a little more work invoved but easy pop out you're birfields and reintall the others with new brake setup and then run new brake lines In my head Its easy typing It out Is differentbut the answer is It is easy to do just takes little time...

read thru the tech links on here...all the disc conversions discuss it, in detail, and should cover most/all yer questions.

Really, it's about a 3 hour project, if you are experienced in front axle disassembly...6 hours if you are not...lol

(I've done it so many times, I like to shoot for 2-1/2 hours blindfolded....lol)

you need everything not connected to the empty housing....lockouts, spindles, bearings, rotors, knuckles, birfields....inner axles are optional, but may as well get those too.

Easiest way? Drop the tie rod. Remove the knuckle wiper seal and felt, 8 bolts per side IIRC. Remove the steering arms and bottom trunion caps from the doner knuckle, 8 nuts.

Pull....hard...the knuckle complete with the inner axle attached will come out, and that's what you need to swap onto your current drum axle. ;)

it's gonna be greasy....so drag along some extra rags....

thinking a bit more, you will likely have to remove the outermost portion of the lockouts too on the doner...and then the outer clip or fenderwasher/bolt on the birfield. The birf needs to be rotated a certain way to come free from the knuckle, and with the spindle on, etc, that will be impossible to see or adjust.

I think that's it tho....I'd still do it blindfolded...lol

I am looking to do this same thing to my 73. Is there a preference for which year the disks come out of? I am also planning my time schedule. If woody does it in 2.5 hours and somebody with no clue can do it in six. I figure it will take me a full day and a case of longnecks. ::) :D

I'd just give a blindfold to Woody, and split the case of longnecks with him. :flipoff2:

Well, disc fronts are 76+...but 79+ knuckles have the better/larger steering arm pattern and also should have the slightly bigger/better minitruck-sized birfields. Given the choice, 79+....but ya can't be too choosy some days. You can also use the 79-85 minitruck knuckles, but you then need to deal with the solid rotors. (all discussed in the tech links)

longnecks....mmmm....:beer:

Its kinda a long drive, and someday I might be the one that has to do it blindfolded. I cant move the LC anyways. I dont have a trailer, and the current condition could best be described as pieces :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom