76 FJ40 dies when it stops (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased a 76 FJ40 yesterday. It drove great and we drove her 3 hours home with out much trouble other than having her die when we stopped at a stop sign and having her backfire once on the highway (we were going up a steep hill on the highway.) Now she dies every time she stops. This evening she wouldn't even start. Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks

Do you smell any raw fuel? I suspect you are getting too much fuel (the backfire on the freeway is my clue) When you stop, I'm thinking the engine floods out. It could be other things too...spark issue for example...have you checked your wires?

Others will chime in...welcome to Mud!! :flipoff2:

Could be all kinds of things. Faulty ignition system, idle speed not set properly, clogged fuel filter or blockage in fuel lines, carb may need rebuilding or adjusting and the list goes on and on. Good luck and welcome to the forum.:flipoff2:

Have a new starter coming in tomorrow. It won't turn over at all now. Also, think I will take apart the carburetor apart and check the float. Suspecting that might be the problem, but who knows. Also, found the air filter had been chewed on by something, so may be wiring issue too.

Welcome.

Lets start with some under hood pictures of your engine, carburetor, distributor, etc.

Thanks for the welcomes by the way. I have a feeling I might be on here often LOL.

Start small, cheap & simple

I had the same thing with my 3F after I drove it home from the previous owner...

Took me an afternoon to fix... What I did:

-Replaced breaker points (they were worn)
-Replaced fuel filter
-Replaced PCV valve
-Take the carb off and used a complete can of carb cleaner on it.
-Bolt carb back on with new gasket and tune with a vacuum gauge.
-I got a new (el cheapo) set sparkplug wires and new spark plugs.
-Filled the gastank all the way up and put some StarTron fuel treatment in... (works for me)

Maybe it was just the TLC I gave it that afternoon, or somehow I got to the problem, but it has run great since. (you want to do this anyway with a car you just got) :doh:

Just start with the simple, few bucks stuff and see if any of it will solve the problem. Go to NAPA with a small list and also get yourself a $20 vacuum gauge.

Good Luck!! :wrench::wrench::wrench:

Thanks. I am a rookie in every sense of the word. I will heed you advice though. I have my list and I will report back with my results. I planned on learning the workings of the engine and expected that I would have to tinker with her periodically but I thought I could get a few miles underneath her first. Guess not.

Get hold of a (Haynes) repair manual, vacuum gauge and a digital multi meter. You will become friends real fast!!

I will post a pic tomorrow of the engine

Good; then we will all know where to start trying to help instead of assuming we know what engine you have and how it is configured.

:beer:

Here are the pics under the hood. There is a lever on the side of the intake for heart riser for the carb air. It's directed down. Could this be a factor?
DSC_0249.jpg
DSC_0250.jpg
DSC_0252.jpg

Here are the pics under the hood. There is a lever on the side of the intake for heart riser for the carb air. It's directed down. Could this be a factor?

nah probably not... I would start by checking fuel filter and fuel lines. go from there to the carb.

That's not it, go over to the other side of the engine and get pictures of your wires, distributor, and coil set up. Take the air cleaner off, and look down the carb while choking, to see if that works. Is there fuel in the site window on the carb? Have someone press the gas, and see if there is fuel spraying in there. Check if you have spark, etc., etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom