76-78 Transmission type H41 or H42 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Counted the rear splines on a used USA 76-78 fj40 tranny and got 16, its a 4 speed as well, cant decipher the stamping so I need some help finding out if its a h41 or h42 tranny? Please see attached
IMG_6013.jpg

On a H41 in first gear should have turn the input shaft about five times for the output shaft to turn once. H42 would be around three and a half times to one turn the output shaft once.

H41 was never imported on U.S. models as far as I know.

H41 was never imported on U.S. models as far as I know.

That is correct, Toyota never ported them here in a Land Cruiser. Years ago Toyota would allow clustomers to order parts like the H41 from other markets. Also used ones have been imported from other markets over the years. Have a 16 spline that came in that way. Third is in vehicles imported and were removed for one reason or another.
My 19 spline came out of this one for obvious reasons.
wrecked HJ47.jpg

That is correct, Toyota never ported them here in a Land Cruiser. Years ago Toyota would allow clustomers to order parts like the H41 from other markets. Also used ones have been imported from other markets over the years. Have a 16 spline that came in that way. Third is in vehicles imported and were removed for one reason or another.
View attachment 2940894

I bought mine from Spector; maybe not the cheapest way but I've been happy with it.

The good used H41 in my '76 FJ40 came via a trade with a co-worker. He got a 3-speed transfer case from a '69 FJ55.

View attachment 2940894
does that have a factory roll bar in it?

does that have a factory roll bar in it?

This is a troopy that doesn't have a factory roll bar in any market I am aware of. This was a Australian market 84 HJ47. Picture was in the wrecking yard it ended up in. This is one of the new giant wrecking yards that fast tracks vehicles. Guessing lasted less than six months before it was crushes and gone for every.

It had been spotted in the Phoenix area and this pictured posted in the club section.
20141014_113848_resized.jpg

A short time later another club member posted a picture a LEO sent him.
LCRHD.jpg

Had Washington State license plate. The ambulance doors had damage but were rust free. Guessing there were some very nice front doors somewhere.

im guessing it rolled?

I do not know the details of the accident but my guess is it hit something solid on the right front and sung around and hit what ever it was on the side. Had a PTO winch which the housing cracked. The left hard top side including glass was still in good shape. I have left running board which was not damaged and took the ambulance that were tweaked.
IMG_20190725_131834297.jpg

Worse damage was the lower right hinge around. I pulled it out but still needs more work then cracked section welded.
IMG_20190725_131804040.jpg

It was full of treasures and close by. Probably never have another opportunity like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom