76/78/79 series airbox into a hj61 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I am wondering (hoping) if someone has installed a 7x series airbox into a 60 series?
I am intending on doing this due to having a GTurbo with about 22 psi of max boost, and hearing that the standard airbox / filter is restrictive at the higher boost pressures.
I am intending on installing the Terrain Tamer kit to prevent the dusting issues I have heard of with these airboxes.

If anyone has done this modification, I would love to see pictures, and to hear what you used for the intake hose (to the crossover pipe), and for the air filter restriction light fittings on the standard airbox.

Thanks heaps!
Drew

I am interested too. Not too keen on the stock air filter housing on my 2h.
Donaldson has some aftermarket air filters housings available which so far been most appealing to me. I like their quality.
Replacement filters is a major consideration.
Some math would be required to calculate exactly what is needed.
They are quite large, so some folks install them outside of the engine bay.
Be interesting what you come up with.

Well, I had a look today… I took the original airbox out and sat the 76 one in its place. There were a number of issues I could see straight away….
A lot of wiring is in the way
The inlet from the Intercooler is in the way
It sits way too high
There isn’t a nice straight line to the factory crossover pipe
The bonnet assist spring is in the way of the airbox inlet
The above is after a quick look… I decided to wash the 60 and to shelve the idea for the moment….

531C764C-21D1-4954-A8CC-F53A7E018C4F.jpeg
2FF43C90-86E4-43C4-8413-6B731FFFAF8D.jpeg
15452839-23ED-4C6B-A349-EF5009C33675.jpeg
D66CA798-DD4C-4178-8BBD-4A276DA9EA4C.jpeg
DFA22591-2ECD-408E-B1DD-7C583D9F7B8C.jpeg

What’s the diameter of the inlet to the 76 box and the outlet from it?

I don't want to sound like a asshat but at 22psi your standard airbox isn't restricting flow enough to warrant changing it. I've personally dynoed my rigs and at 25 psi my big upgraded airbox running a 200 series element made hardly any difference at all. That and the stock one is made to go there and looks like it belongs there too, just as Mr T designed it.

I don't want to sound like a asshat but at 22psi your standard airbox isn't restricting flow enough to warrant changing it. I've personally dynoed my rigs and at 25 psi my big upgraded airbox running a 200 series element made hardly any difference at all. That and the stock one is made to go there and looks like it belongs there too, just as Mr T designed it.
Certainly don’t sound like an asshat!
The only reason I even thought about this mod was I read on here somewhere that the original airbox setup is restrictive…. I also read the ribbed hose from the snorkel to the airbox is restrictive…. The inlet to the original airbox is also quite small. I thought about making this a lot larger if it helps…
If there is no point to the mods I certainly won’t do them!!
Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom