75w-90 gear oil (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Since this is turning into quite the "I use" thread, it's probably worth pointing out that somewhere in 2011 toyota changed both the part number for the transfer case, appearing to add a small part internally, and the recommended fluid for it. Before that, 75w-90. After that, a straight 75wt "LF" fluid, which happens to be very expensive from toyota. Ravenol, redline, and others now make a fluid that meets the published toyota spec.

So far no one has come up with a reason for the change, but since we don't really understand it I and others with vehicles that the change applies to are taking a better safe than sorry approach and sticking with 75wt fluid that meets the toyota spec.. the aftermarket options make this quite cheap per mile. Others are running 75w-90 just fine.. though I wonder about in another 200k. There is some very anecdotal evidence that the thinner stuff may help prevent flashing CDL issues... but it doesn't always work.

Much more info and some interesting physical observations of the official toyota stuff here:

meets Toyota specs - not crazy priced

View attachment 3256078

I bought Redline for both the diffs and t-case like these listed above. I'll be swapping the factory stuff out for the Redline goo next week at 60K miles.

I did the 2nd change with Redline last week.. no forbidden glitter was found from either Diff or the Transfer Case when I dumped them.

Great news!

I’m getting ready to do my 2013 LX570 rear diff and TC. I have this lying around from my last 100 series, is it okay to use? What’s friction modifier is that like limited slip additive ?

IMG_3239.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom