75w-90 gear oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What are you guys using for gear oil for diffs and transfer case. I have only been able to het my hands on Valvoline 75w-90 but it has the limited slip additive. I don’t have LS diffs but truing to find a gear oil minus this additive is crazy! Also, is it suitable for the transfer case? I believe it is, just trying to get confirmation from people who have used it!

18E1B792-5082-46D0-832F-382E51243DD5.jpeg

Lots of guys use this in their transfer case and differentials. Some swear that the Toyota transfer case LF fluid is the only one that's safe for the transfer case. I think most dealerships are using 75W90 when they change the Transfer case, rather than the very expensive Toyota LF fluid. Personally, I use 75w90 in the diffs and Toyota's fancy sauce in the Transfer case.
I have no idea what fancy additives are in the Toyota LF 75w, but I'll take their engineers judgement over my own. At the same time, I don't think you'll destroy your transfer case with 75w90

Does it say GL5 on it somewhere?

Toyota/Lexus in Boise uses 75-W90 in diff's and the same for the transfer case.

I used the same in the diff's, and Ravenol 75W in the transfer case. Ravenol notes that their 75W meets Toyota specs. 2 quarts with shipping runs ~ $40-50. Bottles have built-in no-spills nozzles. I bought the truck with ~ 50K, and I've added another 75K. No leaks, no issues.

Last edited:
There is a ton of discussion about this on the board. Not saying “search!!” but you’ll get a lot of good and diverse perspectives by doing so.

Lots of guys use this in their transfer case and differentials. Some swear that the Toyota transfer case LF fluid is the only one that's safe for the transfer case. I think most dealerships are using 75W90 when they change the Transfer case, rather than the very expensive Toyota LF fluid. Personally, I use 75w90 in the diffs and Toyota's fancy sauce in the Transfer case.
I have no idea what fancy additives are in the Toyota LF 75w, but I'll take their engineers judgement over my own. At the same time, I don't think you'll destroy your transfer case with 75w90

Does it say GL5 on it somewhere?
Yes it is GL-5

There is a ton of discussion about this on the board. Not saying “search!!” but you’ll get a lot of good and diverse perspectives by doing so.
I have searched without a definitive conclusion…just looking for someone who has run 75w90 with the LS additive in both diffs and transfer case..

Toyota/Lexus in Boise uses 75-W90 in diff's and the same for the transfer case.

I used the same in the diff's, and Ravenol 75W in the transfer case. Ravenol notes that their 75W meets Toyota specs. 2 quarts with shipping runs ~ $40-50 with shipping. Bottles have built-in no-spills nozzles. I bought the truck with ~ 50K, and I've added another 75K. No leaks, no issues.
Thank you for the insight!

I have searched without a definitive conclusion…just looking for someone who has run 75w90 with the LS additive in both diffs and transfer case..
I can confidently say there is no definitive conclusion on oils. ;) All you’ll get on a forum is user experiences and opinions. Even the owners manual is ambiguous in some ways, given the huge number of different oils that meet the factory specs. The local dealer near me uses 75w90 in everything but the engine. Your best bet in a search is to use the term limited slip additive since that’s what you’re interested in. Here’s one thread of many:

Walmart supertech - stuff used to be $6-7 a quart for full synthetic

What’s the mileage do you guys recommend to change the transfer case and differential fluid?
30k if you are doing any towing or offroading. If in particularly deep water more frequent inspections are needed.

Toyota magic 75W for the transfer case and Amsoil for the diff's. I too would suggest using the search as there's MUCH more detail (and alternative products) buried in those pre-existing threads.

Local Toyota dealer here in Denver uses 75w90 for all diffs/transfer case. So I put in GL5 redline in mine at 30k miles. Seems to be working just fine.

meets Toyota specs - not crazy priced

Screenshot 2023-02-23 at 10.57.59 AM.png

Always this:

20230223_190257.jpg

Last edited:
comment deleted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom