75FJ Ignition Switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Turn the key and nothing happens until I bring it back a bit to find the sweet spot and then she cranks ok. I think ah I need a new switch, I put that in and she does the same thing. Turn until you find the sweet spot and hold. What am I missing here guys?
Bryan

what part did you replace, the keyed part or the back side of the ignition where the actual switching takes place. My guess it's the back side, I believe,held in with only one screw.

I replaced the back side. These things appear to be dummy proof. I don't get it.

pretty much so, or so I thought. I'm stumped, hope you post the findings!:confused:

ignition switch

I've got the same problem.

'71 FJ40.

Mine doesn't have the thing in the back where the switching takes place.......nope. Mine just has wires. I had been using an aftermarket switch, but this performed just as yours seems to have...a sweet spot and a bunch of hassle.

So, I got a Toyota switch...with the pigtail connector and the wires, but no central "switch". I suppose I'll just hook this baby up to the current wires and all will be OK, but I'm skeptical.

I've been posting this problem on this site for a while now but it doesn't seem that too many folks have this particular problem. Ignition switches seem to be pretty solid for the most part. However, for the unlucky souls like us...it is a real pain in the arse.

I'll let you know how the new Toyota switch works.

Doug

Stoker,
It worked. I switched to the toyota ignition cylinder and a pertronix ignitor and the thing starts up like a champ. Zero issues.

I also cleaned the battery terminals and battery ground wire, and cleaned all of the electrical contacts on the starter, solenoid and ignition coil. Not sure if any of this helped, but it starts like a different truck now. Further, the electronic ignition to replace the points makes it run like a different truck. My points were bad I guess, so new points would probably have accomplished the same thing...but from my vantage point, these two things were the fix.

Good luck...keep me posted.

Also, be sure you are wiring it up correctly....I screwed that up at first. I put the starter wire in the wrong place and the truck JUMPED when I turned the key to "ON". Freaked me out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom