75 series violent shaking when hitting bump or swerving (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have never seen anything like this before when hitting a bump at speeds of 60km/hr plus or swerving only to the left the whole vehicle starts shaking more violent then anything I have ever seen at first I think its death wobbles and then gets so much worse to the point I had a friend follow me and he says the front wheel bounces off the ground I know it's something to do with the front right as it always starts there but I have no idea what, have replaced tie rod ends, kingpins, shackle bushes, wheel bearings I dont know what else it could be thanks guys

Out of balance tire? Bent rim? Have tire shop spin balance to rule that out?

It most likely needs a caster correction after all that work you have done. It may very well be a bent rim or similar that starts the death wobble. Its often caused by more than one reason.

It most likely needs a caster correction after all that work you have done. It may very well be a bent rim or similar that starts the death wobble. Its often caused by more than one reason.
I couldnt imagine it being castor as I only have a 1 inch suspension lift

Scary isn't it! Happened to me. [fj73] Had all the wheels balanced and rotated and it still happened. Checked all the tie rods, damper, wheel bearing play, disk warp etc, still no joy.
Tyres were getting a bit worn, so After a new set of tyres it fixed it, and it never happened again.
All I can think of is the old tyres were slightly ovaled .

Last edited:
I couldnt imagine it being castor as I only have a 1 inch suspension lift

It can happen with or without lifts. My FJ73 was fine for 4-5 years with a 2 inch lift and just decided to get the death wobble. It just needs a small change in suspension and steering geometry to set it off. Mine was at its worst towing a small trailer with a 1HZ and gearbox in it, so I can only guess that the downward weight on the towbar had something to do with it.

I had death wobble at one point. An out of balance wheel set it off. A insufficiently pre-loaded wheel bearing at the front right was the culprit. The e-hubs on the JDM 70 series are hard to pre-load as the nut needs to line up with the spindle in a certain spot - going to manual hubs fixed my problem. Not your problem of course because you have manual hubs and have had all that stuff apart already regardless.

Scary isn't it! Happened to me. [fj73] Had all the wheels balanced and rotated and it still happened. Checked all the tie rods, damper, wheel bearing play, disk warp etc, still no joy.
Tyres were getting a bit worn, so After a new set of tyres it fixed it, and it never happened again.
All I can think of is the old tyres were slightly ovaled .
That's what I'm thinking I put a different set on and hasn't done it yet

Great!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom