75 series landcruiser cummins 6bt conversion (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys new to ih8mud today. So im looking to put a cummins 6bt in my landcruiser which is an 89 75 series with a 2h diesel with aftermarket turbo engine and i have a few questions. For starters is the gearbox and drivetrain strong enough and if not from which landcruiser should i use? Also i have a friend who makes conversion plates to go from 6bt to an 80 series gearbox is this box the same fitment as mine and if not can i run an 80 series gearbox and transfer box onto my 75 series axles without causing any dramas. Please forgive my ignorance im pretty new to the scene so im not scared to ask simple questions so i can learn so any help would be greatly apreciated

Surely there must be something more appropriate than one of them. You already have the strongest gearbox and diff from Toyota but they will not last if you use the 6BT torque.

A Toyota 15BT would be my preferred choice if I couldn't find/afford a 1HD T

Nah im pretty keen on a 6bt its something ive always wanted to do as ive got really syrong childhood memories of driving a tractor with that engine in it as a kid so its as much sentimental as it is practical really haha

No idea if anyone has done one in a 70 series, but if you search, there's threads here on installation into 80 series
Can't imagine there's a lot of room for one in the 70s engine bay.
They are a very large engine. Tall and long and heavy and noisy like a tractor

You have a H55f gearbox with a splitcase transfer.

The 80 series has a H150/H151 gearbox with a HF1A/HF2A transfer. These are stronger than what you have. They're also what the current V8 'Cruisers use. I certainly wouldn't use a 6BT with your current gearbox and transfer, I would with the later ones if you aren't going to wind s***loads of power into it.

Personally, I'd look into alternatives but to me the point of the 6BT would be the ridiculous power potential (and I'd want an auto). If you don't want a million horsepower then the H15x/HFxA would be the go. The H15x/HFxA are far from bolt on, the crossmember is in a different spot and the tailshaft lengths are different.

Diff strength depends on your tyre size. Chromo axles are readily available as are aftermarket diff gears and solid pinion spacers ect. Personally, unless you're looking to run a whole different transfer case with a centered rear output then I wouldn't really worry about this until later on, it's easy to sort compared to everything else.

I think you'l have a hard time cooling it, 75s with their narrow front ends don't have much space for a decent radiator. You may have to run another radiator on the headboard of the tray or similar. There's a fellow with a 6BT GU Patrol (from Denmark) who has a whole second radiator stuffed under the bonnet!

I'd love to see this conversion done.

Ah thats really helpful thanks alot i think im gonna go for a h151 as everyone says they are the strongest. And ive also sourced a bloke who has made the bell housing cobversion plate for one of these before so he still has the templates to make another. Im not wanting to run any silly power through it at all im just looking to put in a standard 12v preferably the p pump model and just leave it stock as that is more than enough for my needs i just really love those engines. I have 35 inch tyres on it at the moment and i wont be going any bigger than that as thats pretty much all i can get away with legaly in australia

A 70 series has a 6cylinder in it as standard which is basically the same dimensions as a 6bt and they do actually put them in tractors hahahA

There's a big difference in height of the engines. The other issue is the ancillaries you need for a 6Bt are a lot bigger than for the Toyota engines. Bigger radiator with big fan, big intercooler, big air-cleaner.

Fitting the engine in is only part of the battle.

If you're happy with stock 6Bt power and torque, it's not difficult to surpass those numbers with a toyota 6 diesel (except the 2H).

Yer just looking to put a stock 12v p pump i dont want anything more than that and yer im well aware of what can be acheived with a toyota engine but ive just always wanted to do a cummins conversiob

Those are my engines being compared. I have no regrets putting the 6bt in my 80 and would love to see one go in a 70.

The 70 series doesn't insulate the sound very well. I have seen other over size diesels in 75 series and they are an assault on the ears. You could spend all that time and money on a conversion and a stock HZJ75 would still be worth more in the classifieds

Th
The 70 series doesn't insulate the sound very well. I have seen other over size diesels in 75 series and they are an assault on the ears. You could spend all that time and money on a conversion and a stock HZJ75 would still be worth more in the classifieds
Thats fine by me i want to hear that cummins roar!!! Hahaha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom