75 relay rod length (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Replacing the ends on the relay/tie rod. Getting conflicting information on the relay rod length.

Searches on here pull up a diagram showing 32.56" but even with the tie rod ends screwed basically all the way in I can't get it that short.

I also searched and found someone mentioning 33.1". Anyone know for sure?

What's the best way to go about setting these up initially after new ends? I'm doing a new tie rod as well as ends since it's bent so i'll have to basically reset it all.

Oh and I do have disks in the front

1.jpg
2.jpg

Back in the day, maybe 30 years ago or so, when my '74 Pig was still fairly new to me, I went to the Dealership to get a new tie rod. They had it in stock. It was straight and shiny black and even came with new ends! I was so happy. until I got home and tried to install it. It was too long. Called back to complain. "That's all there is, number got superceded. Take it or leave it."
So I ended up just cutting a half inch or so off each end...

well, it has been a while, but maybe, if you drive straight in, keeping your steering wheel centered, and park it, then pop out your tie rod ends (sounds easy huh?),
Match lengths with your new tie rod and drop those in. I probably wouldn't worry about toe-in until you got you relay rod replaced.
Mistakes here are easily corrected or adjusted out. Before you drive it.

Yes the relay rod is off and I removed the tie-rods before I measured it. Tie rod measurement wouldn't help lol so i'm basically starting over without any initial
measurements

20200331_143955_HDR.jpg

OEM relay rod length is 30.5"
OEM drag link length is 42.5"
These are the lengths of the tube w/o tie rod ends.

33.1" is the good one for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom