‘75 gas tank in a 1/‘73? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My current gas tank doesn’t seal at the sender due to the PO drilling all the way through the sender holes. So I saw this tank on CL and After some quick research thought it would fit. So I bought it.
Turns out I have an early ‘73 (Jan) that had the old arrangement with the hold down straps instead of a cover. My current tank only has one fitting on the left side where the replacement has two. I don’t really want to go through the hassle of draining my tank if it won’t work.
Any thoughts?

8DC5A71D-9A0E-4ECF-9852-43565269A623.jpeg

78C0FD83-CCCA-4597-A091-B39F366875B1.jpeg

So according to CCOT the gas tanks from 9/72 to 12/78 are essentially the same. They also reference 8/69 to 9/72 with pics too. There website has good info on how the fuel lines are run. What yr is your 40? Are both the filler necks, of the tanks you have, the same? Maybe some other will chime in.

@Slapshot

The Jan '73 fuel tank has the supply line leaving the middle side of the tank, just as shown in the first picture.

Later fuel systems had a recirculation line, so the plumbing changed to the supply coming off the bottom of the tank (blue arrow, second picture) and the return going to the middle side of the tank (red arrow, second picture.)

You should be fine using the later model tank by connecting your supply line to the bottom tube, and capping off the middle side connection.

FWIW, I have the CCOT tank in my '72 and I have a gas tank cover out of a '76. Plug the lines you don't need and make sure the tank is properly vented.

FWIW, I have the CCOT tank in my '72 and I have a gas tank cover out of a '76. Plug the lines you don't need and make sure the tank is properly vented.

What month of 72? Fuel tank got smaller 9/72. The cover was too small to cover the fuel tank. I bought a cover out of a 74 thinking I would use it on my 68. Already installed front seats from 74. The earlier tank is to wide for the cover.

What month of 72? Fuel tank got smaller 9/72. The cover was too small to cover the fuel tank. I bought a cover out of a 74 thinking I would use it on my 68. Already installed front seats from 74. The earlier tank is to wide for the cover.

I'm not sure of the application for the CCOT tank, I won it in a raffle. My 40 is a January '72 vintage. This is an older pic the cover (with a TBI fuel pump). I had to add a few nutserts to secure the cover since none were on the '72 tub.

TBI Fuel Pump 2.jpg

On my 10/72, I used the CCOT replacement metal tank. Blocked off the red arrow (return) hooked up supply to blue arrow. My gas tank straps were a little short, had to use 1” rubber bumpers to strap to the floor ( didn’t have original bolts).

D7FE4D48-3C72-4172-8B44-A85995BA285C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom