75 FJ40 VIN Help / Engine Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DangerNoodle

Essentially a fire wielding monkey.
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
I know, check the FAQ. My parts FJ40 is a 76 register year, with the VIN of FJ40208452, which I believe is somewhere around October of 75 production date. It never came with an engine, and I am trying to figure A: what engine would have been in it (I'm assuming a 2F) and B: what smog components would it have had? If you need any more info from me, let me know.

Thanks,

-DJ

DJ, I have a May 1976 production 40 if you want to swing by and take a look. October 1975 might have been a ‘75 model though, which might’ve had different emissions equipment.

Engine was definitely a 2F regardless.

DJ, I have a May 1976 production 40 if you want to swing by and take a look. October 1975 might have been a ‘75 model though, which might’ve had different emissions equipment.

Engine was definitely a 2F regardless.

Carson, thanks for the offer! I'm really wanting to know about the smog equipment. I'm looking at trying to get it registered and back moving somewhat before the new CARB stuff hits the fan in 2021. With no engine, trying to get it cleared as a 75 makes it hard. I am hoping someone with that rough production date may be able to help fill in what would have been on the engine smog wise. I'd still like to swing by and talk cruisers at some point though. Always fun to do.

Carson, thanks for the offer! I'm really wanting to know about the smog equipment. I'm looking at trying to get it registered and back moving somewhat before the new CARB stuff hits the fan in 2021. With no engine, trying to get it cleared as a 75 makes it hard. I am hoping someone with that rough production date may be able to help fill in what would have been on the engine smog wise. I'd still like to swing by and talk cruisers at some point though. Always fun to do.

Oct 75 should be registered as a 76 model year, or do they go by actual build date??

Oct 75 should be registered as a 76 model year, or do they go by actual build date??

Not really sure yet, but I would like to try and see what the differences are. It is titled as a 76, but I would really like to see if I can avoid emissions with it.

Does anyone know what smog components a 76 would have had?

My ‘76 is 100% original with all smog components if you want to check it out or see pics.

Do you have some pics? Is it catted?

cats didn't start until the 79 model mid year change in 40 series which was actually Jan 79, this is for most US states, not sure what CA was mandating

cats didn't start until the 79 model mid year change in 40 series which was actually Jan 79, this is for most US states, not sure what CA was mandating

Awesome. Thanks for the info.

Does anyone know what smog components a 76 would have had?

A '75 or '76 Toyota 2F Engine Emission Control manual would tell you everything you want to know. There are a few scanned ones of different vintages here and there on Mud. I have an '81 edition myself.

I’m
A '75 or '76 Toyota 2F Engine Emission Control manual would tell you everything you want to know. There are a few scanned ones of different vintages here and there on Mud. I have an '81 edition myself.
I know, check the FAQ. My parts FJ40 is a 76 register year, with the VIN of FJ40208452, which I believe is somewhere around October of 75 production date. It never came with an engine, and I am trying to figure A: what engine would have been in it (I'm assuming a 2F) and B: what smog components would it have had? If you need any more info from me, let me know.

Thanks,
My ‘76 is 100% original with all smog components if you want to check it out or see pics.
Does your 76 have the reactor on it in California
61EBA066-4B17-45BC-AFAF-1864DCEBA5C9.jpeg

@Half Wacked aka Split Pea mine is a Federal spec. I don’t think my manifold looks like that, although it’s hard to tell from that bottom angle. I’m assuming that is a CA spec.

It does have that heat spring damper whateverthehellitscalled.
Just wanted to show what California has to deal with, for a 76

does your mystery year truck have one of these in the engine bay anywhere ?

if so post a pics , this will tell much

the design of your plate will / should match one of these 3 examples

DSCN7004.JPG
DSCN7194.JPG
DSCN9978.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom