75 FJ40 Rookie (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, just joined today and figured I'd introduce myself. My name is Alex and I just acquired a 1975 FJ40 from my good buddy!

It's not running right now because it is missing a distributor and carburetor off the 283 v8. But could probably be running with a few Craigslist deals.
I have no intentions of making an all original, frame off to sell. More along the lines of showing a lot of love to a cruiser that gets used on the weekends.

Any guidance/recommendations are greatly appreciated!

IMG_2449.JPG

Welcome from Louisiana, The Sportsman's Paradise!

Welcome! :flipoff2: Looks like you've got a good foundation to start from. I also have a '75 model, just because that's the one that found me. Glad I got the bigger 2F engine and a 4spd, but wish I could've found a year newer to get the front disc brakes. Oh well, a conversions can always be done. Lots of good info here. Congrats.

Welcome aboard! I also have a '75 FJ40 with a 1967 283 in it. Let me know if you have any questions as you start to go through it! Looks like a solid truck!

Welcome!

Never seen a rooster on a '40 before. Is there a story behind that one?

No story on the rooster haha. I would actually like to do a disk conversion to the fronts and possibly the rear.
Does anybody move there fuel tank from under the passenger seat to under the vehicle? Or is this the best place for the tank.

I think I would try to get all of the TBI fuel injection components off of a newer engine from a wrecking yard (including intake and distributor) and run that until you have the time/coin for a late model 5.3 engine. I'm the guy who offers the 22 gal. rear fuel cells if you ever have an inclination to go that route (more capacity, nylon fuel cell tested stronger than steel, no gas or gas smell inside vehicle, lets you install bucket seats lower so that you are not looking out the windshield at wiper blade level- - -just saying).

I actually thought about a 5.3 swap. I swapped an ls1 in my old 98 Silverado and hade to make a wiring harness so my factory gauges would work and it was a nightmare. I would be more concerned with the 4wd components, and can I use the 4speed or put 4l60 in with it, does it work or do you have to cut and move stuff? I'm sure there's threads on here somewhere for the swap.
I just don't want to spend more than a couple hundred dollars on getting this 283 going when a 5.3 is a grand at a wrecking yard.
And I'll keep you in mind for a fuel cell thanks!

My guess is you could probably pick up the TBI stuff at a wrecking yard for a couple hundred??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom