75 fj40 mechanical fuel pump install ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have looked at quite a few threads, as well as FSM and hayes. Got a new mechanical fuel pump and gasket from racer, when I go to remove the old one and install the new one do I need to drain engine oil? It looks like pump hole is high enough above the oil pan. Also any thing special I need to do to prevent leaks? Gasket sealant? Tricks of tips? Edit: I found info. on fuel pumps but not related to the oil question.

Last edited:
Have looked at quite a few threads, as well as FSM and hayes. Got a new mechanical fuel pump and gasket from racer, when I go to remove the old one and install the new one do I need to drain engine oil? It looks like pump hole is high enough above the oil pan. Also any thing special I need to do to prevent leaks? Gasket sealant? Tricks of tips? Edit: I found info. on fuel pumps but not related to the oil question.

No need to drain the crankcase.

If yours uses the spacer, be sure to re-use the spacer. Sometimes it may stick to the block or the old fuel pump.

depending how dirty it is on the block around the pump, you may want to do some house keeping before removing the old unit.
just make sure all of the old gasket is off the block before trying to put the new on.
no need for any sealant as long as the block is cleaned off for the new gasket. there is no pressure behind the pump, just flinging and dripping oil.

you will not use the spacer, just a gasket, if your engine is a '75 model, and you bought the old style pancake type pump (screws holding all the layers of the pump together.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom