75 fj with v8 to stock 4 speed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im looking to put a stock 350 in my FJ but I would like to keep the stock 4speed and transfercase. Can this be done or does the v8 put to much power to the tranny to not break it?

1974 fj40,4' man a fre lift,4+ winch bumper,

It's been done quite a bit - I currently have a 78 set up like this. Advanced Adapters and several companies make the adapters that you want. You can even keep the transmission in the stock location to avoid driveshaft issues, etc. I'd be more worried about the coarse spline birfs and pinions that you probably have in your cruiser unless you have upgraded.

A mild 350 will be fine, no need for a v8 with more than 250-300 h.p. in a landcruiser IMHO.

I've got a 74 also. Been running a +/- 300hp 350 since 1996. Never had problems... Will break things if you drive it hard a lot.

Why a 350? Unless you find a used kit it'll cost you $2000 + motor + ton of labour. You could likely find a 2F for $300-500 if getting it working is the goal.

I'd recommend replacing the Toyota 4-sp if you're going to the effort of an engine swap. I'm sure the Toyota tranny could handle the new engine's power, but the Toyota 4-sp transmission in your '75 has a crappy, soft output shaft that will wear badly (the pic below is of a '75 4-sp with less than 68K on it). When the output shaft wears, the increased clearance between it and the transfer case input gear creates a "spline pump" that will starve the t-case and/or the tranny of oil.

attachment.php

I ran the original 74 four speed for 6 years behind a 383 with about 400hp, never had a problem, but I did not drive it like I was 18 either. If I did it all over again today, I would go with a 5.3 Vortec with the factory fuel injection. Advance Adapters will have everything you need to put in that 350.

BTW, on my first FJ40, I tried to keep the trans in the original place to save money on driveshafts, and that truck always ran hot. On this truck, I moved the transmission and transfer case forward to make sure the motor wasn't jammed into the firewall, air flowed better, fan and shroud were correct and haven't had any kind of problem with heat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom