75 BJ40 - Glow plug relay "buzzes" and no glow on the controller (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rusto

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello all,

I am working on getting my new-to-me BJ ready for the winter. The glow controller doesn't glow, so I'm running through everything one step at a time. It's the B engine with 24 volt electrics throughout.
Issue (that I can't find another thread on): When I turn the key backwards to initiate the starting sequence, the glow controller relay buzzes noticeably for about 20 seconds the "clicks" off.

• I've inspected the glow controller itself, OEM Toyota, looked fine.
  • Tested the batteries with the multi-meter, both around 10 volts. I have one on a trickle charger right now and will connect the other when the first is fully charged. I've read on other forums that if the batteries aren't fully charged, the relay will 'buzz' from clicking on and off extremely fast from not enough current. We'll see if it still buzzes once fully charged batteries are present.
In the meantime, any other thoughts as to what's going on? Is it a bad relay? Wrong glow plugs? I have the B engine service manual and will be walking through the diagnostics suggested, but thought I might get a head start from the experts.

Here's a post from another forum that talks about it - glow plug relay buzz Found a couple of others that suggest low batteries.

Thanks

At 10V your batteries are pretty much dead flat at this time.

Yeah, one's been charging all day and still isn't all the way charged.. Will probably get them tested as my next step. It's been sitting for about three weeks as well.

One battery is fully charged now reading 13 volts. Trickle charger is on other one now. We'll see what that reads at full charge.

I'm going out in the woods for a week starting tomorrow, so we'll see if they hold a charge and then go from there.

Hope the relay isn't shot. Those things are pricy and hard to come by.

For your batteries to get that low after not being used for three weeks you have a problem. Once batteries are fully charged have each of them load tested seperately.

If OK then start looking for parasitic draw, the relay itself only draws a couple of amps but as soon as the glow plugs are connected this will climb to 50+, if the batteries are down to ten volts then the 50+ draw is wiping out the remaining amps in the batteries.

regards

Dave

Thanks Dave. It could have been that I tried the three times over the course of a few minutes when testing confirming where the buzz was coming from, without starting it. Maybe that pulled them down a bit as I tested them right after that.

We'll see. Definitely getting them tested after they are fully charged. Unless something is grounding out somewhere, I wouldn't think there would be much opportunity for their to be a draw.. no radio, no interior lights.. nothing.

I'll start testing the whole starting system once I determine the batteries are good.

We always think of the draw being something that is obvious, one of the oldest draw problems comes from the alternator, if the batteries test out good then fit them and see how you go, but just to dispel any myths, a fully charged battery should be in the 12.6+ range, the same battery at 11.0 volts is flat and may recover, at 10 volts and if age is a factor then consider them spent.

regards

Dave

Hi,

If your batteries were good before your glow light stopped working, maybe your glow relay welded its contacts together Inside.

Its possible you didnt realise and started your truck.

Then when you park It will drain your
batteries.

Could be a possibility I had one that did that every now and again.

It would weld shut and id have to pull the contacts apart ( the cover removed was removed before I bought the truck )

Worth a look.

-------------

Looking for a rust free DIESEL LHD cruiser?
Canarian Land Cruiser Exports • DIESEL • LHD

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. the low batter could be because I hooked up trickle charger backwards on one battery for about 10 minutes before I realized it. Never had that happen before in all my years. They've maintained charge for a few weeks now as I've worked on other items. Not connected at the moment.

I'll be running through all the engine electrical soon. The Glow Controller looks fine, but doesn't glow after 20 seconds. I've only had it a few months, and the Glow Controller hasn't glowed yet.
I'm hoping it's just the wrong glow plugs. Considering all the other PO mistakes I've found, I hope that's it and not a bad relay. I'll definitely take a look at the relay @ToyotaDyna

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom