75/78 Troopy roof conversion options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

joekatana

GOLD Star
Threads
I am starting a build in Europe and am using a HZJ78 troopy body and want to convert the roof to something similar like the alu cab pop up so I can sleep in it, I never build a travel cruiser before and would like to know what my options are for getting one of these in Central Europe (Belgium,netherlands,france ,germany)

This is all new to me but I decided I want to build this as a travel rig to use here in the US so I am starting with a 1986 BJ75 that was crusty hence the newer body conversion ;)

I am already following some awesome builds on here so this is just to get a summary of what is out there so I and possibly some others who have the same question can choose what to spend our hard earned cash on.

This is the donor truck I will be using for it

IMG_1280.JPG

Last edited:
**** yeah Joeri!

AluCab makes sense in Africa or Australia (and are available here) but you are close to all of those amazing German builders. I have lots of leads for you for stuff state side but getting something from Tom's would be easy over there. NOT cheap but you already know that.

Perhaps @renago would steer you somewhere?

:beer:

**** yeah Joeri!

AluCab makes sense in Africa or Australia (and are available here) but you are close to all of those amazing German builders. I have lots of leads for you for stuff state side but getting something from Tom's would be easy over there. NOT cheap but you already know that.

Perhaps @renago would steer you somewhere?

:beer:

Good parts are unfortunately expensive but this whole truck is already gonna set me back a few doll hairs so I want to choose the right one, I received a link to and I have seen one ofhttp://www.psp-expeditioncampers.com/product/263/0/pspdaklandcruiser70.html those in person a few months back , 8500 Euro's so I definetly want to see what else is out there.

Hi Joekatana

I made what may companies sell.
If you have some time , you can look at my building thread ,Toyota pop up roof ,
under expedition builds forum .
very much depends what you want , which grade of finish you require , and what $ you have to put in the project , and time .
if you have any questions I am glad to help .

bye Renago

Hi Joekatana

I made what may companies sell.
If you have some time , you can look at my building thread ,Toyota pop up roof ,
under expedition builds forum .
very much depends what you want , which grade of finish you require , and what $ you have to put in the project , and time .
if you have any questions I am glad to help .

bye Renago

Thanks Renago , as I probably only will keep it for a few years I prefer to buy a name brand because it will make it easier whenever the time comes to resell it plus I am only in Europe a few weeks at a time so time comes at a premium when I am there.

Joe

I was he one that build it .
Price in Europe of a popup roof is minimum 10 to 15K €
Difference is in material , location , finishing .
Not necessarily the most expencive is the best !

@ Joe , I don't understand if you are in Europe for shopping your popup , or just looking around ?

Bye Renago

I was he one that build it .
Price in Europe of a popup roof is minimum 10 to 15K €
Difference is in material , location , finishing .
Not necessarily the most expencive is the best !

@ Joe , I don't understand if you are in Europe for shopping your popup , or just looking around ?

Bye Renago

My troopy is in Europe and I will do the conversion there and some other works before shipping it back to the US, I live in The US but go every few months a few weeks to Europe for Cruisers and parts.

If you want some options on the pop up ,let me know in PM.

I live in Milan , rather easy from a transport view .

Bye Renago

If you want some options on the pop up ,let me know in PM.

I live in Milan , rather easy from a transport view .

Bye Renago

Thanks for the offer Renago but it seems that most of the suppliers/manufacterers of these are more centralized in The Netherlands and Germany so for now I want to focus my search on those. Italy is not the best logistic choice for me.

Thanks

Joe

You can probably take medicine for this.

can't read your link. Sprechen Sie Deutsch

You can probably take medicine for this.

can't read your link. Sprechen Sie Deutsch

Lol it's worse then German , it's my native language Dutch ;)

If I was in your position, I'd be checking out the guys at Maltec Leichtbautechnologie.

I believe their roof skins are made of Carbon Fibre, offering the rigidity but also much better weight up top.

8,500 euros for the PSP roof looks a good price, nicely done by the looks of it and a little cheaper than Alucab. Wonder how it compares for usability and strength? Most others are more expensive that I have seen.There is also Alcar in France and ORB in Switzerland...

Have you heard of this L’Azalaï | company. I've seen their work and it looks good. The guys name is Sebastian.

Have you heard of this L’Azalaï | company. I've seen their work and it looks good. The guys name is Sebastian.

Never heard of them, it looks really functional but a bit to much for me

Azalai is a french company , saw some work .
nice , but all in fiberglass .
good for touring , but certainly not for heavy off road use .
all German ,Swiss , SA,companies work with Aluminium , much more robust and less prone to crack under vibrations on corrugated roads .
my opinion from road testing .

bye Renago

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom