GM 75 3/4 ton (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Figured since I was already here I'd post something. While I was helping a friend recover a ford backhoe I was given a 75 3/4 ton chevy camper special 4x4 with a 350, turbo 400, NP 203 transfer, dana 44 front, 14 bolt rear. I don't know how long the trk had been sitting but the sticker said 97, and there was rat crap to the top of the carb. and no breather! After working my butt off for 7-8 hrs. trying to winch a backhoe stuck in the mud up to the rear axle, with no hydraulics, and had a flat on the front on to a trailer that was to small. Any way long story short got the trk home spent a few hrs cleaning the crap off the top of the engine hooked a battery to it put some fire to the coil and dumped some gas in it and she fired up! I thought the best I could've hoped for was maybe saving some drive train parts, hell the engine held 50 lbs of oil pressure. I went ahead and tore the carb down and freed up the throttle shafts freshened it up and put it back on, took the valve covers off oiled up the rockers and put some gas in a jug stuck a hose from the pump in it and let it run a while she primed right up and didn't miss a lick.

Nice. I have a 78 k30 that had the same setup and I installed a 4l80e trans and fuel injected the 454 I had. the tbi and trans came from a 94 g30 van. having the overdrive is really nice to achieve highway speeds without so many rpms!

I bet, that's a great set up, my 77 3/4 has got a 350 with a 4 speed and the NP 205 and 4.10s with 33s on it. Its revving pretty good at 65-70 mph. I need to get out there and see what all is ok on the one I trailered home, I'm pretty sure the outer pinion bearing is locked up from sitting in mud and I got to free up the rear drums as well. The tranny is making pressure but I haven't tried putting it in gear yet.

Those old Chevy trucks are hard to kill. I have heard many reports of trucks sitting for years and firing right up. I bet that camper special was really something in its day. My 76 sounds identical to your 77. Doesn't like the highway!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom