74 Transmission Hump cover - questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

231Designs

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi all - I’m tearing down the FJ40 to prep for paint and some other body repairs - and in doing so finally removed the heater box to restore that while I’m at it.

In the process I found some fantastic work the previous owner did to modify the hump to accept the new location for the shifter after the Chevy 350 conversion he did.

I’ve got no plans to undo the conversion so I’m looking at options to fix this tunnel cover.

Upon further examination the portion near the gas pedal is nearly rusted out - it’s already got some Swiss cheese holes - and since I’m not a welder finding a shop to fix all of these issues seems like it will run me more money in labor than a fiberglass replacement.

So - does anyone have any information or can speak to quality difference between the JT Outfitter cover for $195 and the SOR one at $435. ???

I know SOR charges a premium and there is mixed reviews here on customer service with JT Outfitters - but more than double the cost for what appears to be a very similar part.

Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

SOR - Land Cruiser Transmission Hump, Running Boards & Tool Box - https://www.sor.com/cat116.sor#40SeriesB

JT Outfitters -

7699E444-86A8-4F6F-8587-2731A8F104D0.jpeg
0DB0DE42-9C93-4294-97CF-F37DDB0D0877.jpeg

1DBF9C0A-D5E5-4CC4-9EAC-7B279C77C155.jpeg

Put an ad on classifieds for a used metal one. I am sure someone has one. Much better than fiberglass. Probably be the same price range or lower.

You say you're tearing your 40 for paint and other body repairs. What are the other body repairs? Isn't the other repairs most likely going to require some sheet metal replacement? Maybe your investment should be in a cheap welder and learn to weld.

You say you're tearing your 40 for paint and other body repairs. What are the other body repairs? Isn't the other repairs most likely going to require some sheet metal replacement? Maybe your investment should be in a cheap welder and learn to weld.
Yes - some welding is already in the cards for the rear quarter panels and the rear sill - - I'd love to tackle this project myself and learn the skills but with 3 kids under 6 I just don't have the time (or the safe space to work) with the kids.

So - I decided instead of waiting until the kids were older and I could take the time to learn to weld to make these fixes that I'd hire out that work to the body shop.

Just looking for a way to get the transmission cover in corrected ...... without adding too many more $$$ to the already sizeable bill I'm staring down. I didn't realize the extent of the damage until I started pulling the interior out to get it ready for the body shop in a couple of weeks.

Its always something more :)

Put an ad on classifieds for a used metal one. I am sure someone has one. Much better than fiberglass. Probably be the same price range or lower.

Thanks for the suggestion - I just did that. Hopefully someone sees it.

I have the hardest time searching through the classifieds - I tried to see if someone had one listed - but couldn't seem to find anything. Maybe someone will see this (or that post) and reach out.

Cheers.

I agree with @ceylonfj40nut, I'd prefer metal rather than fiberglass. The problem with the stk metal hump is they're becoming hard to find in good shape. Have you contacted Gozzard ? They offer a complete fiberglass tub that looks like it comes with a separate tranny hump. I wonder if they will sell the hump separately. I know a lot of folks have had trouble with jt outfitters. I've order a couple of times from them with no issues. I guess they're hit or miss. I'd ask if they actually have one in stk b4 ordering. I'd have a hard time paying sor"s price.

Have you tried contacting some local LC owners/members? Checkout the clubhouse section at the top of the page
You might find someone willing to repair yours.

20210517_193003.jpg

20210529_002754.jpg

You could always repair it with fiberglass. Easier than welding, easier to deal with contours, and stronger than metal. Do it quickly and it will look suitable. Take the time and it could look new.

Yes - 4-speed transmission. In a SB350 conversion.

Nothing standard for a V8 in FJ40. While I do not run a V8 in any 40 series if I did would switch to. 60 series H42 top cover and a early FJ40 transfer shifter. Unless you have a Marks out of Australia V8 conversion kit your shifters are most likely to far forward.using 60 series parts can move those back closer to stock location.

/this\
FJ60 top cover.
Did you ever run the classified ad?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom