74+ Steering into a 1972 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wngrog

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.seeandeatms.com
Working on a project with a friend. Total frame off.

The motor is a nice Mosley rebuilt 1977 with no holes for a PS pump on the drivers side and it already has a AC and Alternator on the passenger side.

Customer wants electric power steering.

The City racer kit is a NO BRAINER… I’ve done 3 but they are for the later column

Wiring issues aside, what’s needed here?

I’m thinking

1) 1974+ firewall graft

2) 1974+ manual box and frame mount.

3) 1974+ column/wheel

I tried searching. I’m sure this is common but could not find anything the way I was searching

I did it back in the early 80's. I barely remember what i did. I got the whole box and colum and wheel. I don't recall having any problems mounting the box to the pedalstal. I used the later model plate/cup that mounts to the firewall because it bolted to the column. For some reason I recall having to shorten the column tube but not the steering shaft. It may have been because the shaft had to slide forward to meet the rag joint. The location of the wheel was ok. It was a long time ago.

The motor is a nice Mosley rebuilt 1977 with no holes for a PS pump on the drivers side and it already has a AC and Alternator on the passenger side.

The City racer kit is a NO BRAINER… I’ve done 3 but they are for the later column

I’m thinking

1) 1974+ firewall graft

3) 1974+ column/wheel

I tried searching. I’m sure this is common but could not find anything the way I was searching
Doesnt it only get really complicated if you're trying to keep the column shift with the EPS box install on the early columns? I realize youre talking the integrated shaft/box years, but isnt it as simple as cut column tube and then cut column shaft (in the right spots) make a support plate for the firewall and weld to the lower tube half, weld the required adapters to each end of the tubes and shafts after you figure out lengths and bolt it all together?

I’m thinking

1) 1974+ firewall graft

3) 1974+ column/wheel

Post 926 has a small bit of info. Not sure if the really early column was much different than the early 70’s other than the spline count on the steering shaft?

Edit to add: forgot about turn signal, that makes one more thing to modify. All of this is a walk in the park for your Wizard though.

Last edited:
I think you're plan is spot on and I think you could even use 73+ parts.

Here is a thread that may be another option for the column to box portion even though it's a PS conversion.

The harness on this truck is all chopped up
Too so
Adding a 74+ harness is also in the mix

Sounds like I just need the area where the shaft cup to be grafted in, not the whole driver firewall like an early 40 would need

I replaced a 1970 column shift and steering box with one from a 1973 floor shift with no issues at all--it bolted right in. Obviously changed the shifter to the floor, too. I reused the column shift tube, just no shift linkage anymore.

seems like it would be logical to do that whole firewall section to be able to do booster without the funky spacer? Looks like it's just a few spot welds

seems like it would be logical to do that whole firewall section to be able to do booster without the funky spacer? Looks like it's just a few spot welds
I think 72 has the booster already.

The difference is the column mount at the firewall.

I did a firewall swap on my '70. Kept the '70 steering box frame mount, just had to shorten the steering shaft on the '78 column.

So you kept the 1970 box?

I think I had to cut about an inch off the steering shaft.

20220418_122144.jpg

I think 72 has the booster already.

The difference is the column mount at the firewall.

True yeah, I read and then mentally pictured the earlier truck @wngrog is doing right now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom