74 series pics info/needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.urbanlandcruisers.com
OK, Got offered a (BJ/HJ?) 74 w/13BT motor, FRP top out of japan. Is this HJ or BJ? Looking for PICs or first hand info on them.

it's a BJ74

Best "out of the box" offroad ready vehicle ever made. The picture is one with a SOA and high steer running on 38 swampers. That's it, no fender trimming, no gearing changes. A very sweet rig. This one belongs to Peter Straub. A 74 is next on my hit list.....

600DSCN2902.JPG

Oh, and BTW, it is another one of those trucks that can't be 100% legally imported into the states. Sorry.

Dave, 13B-T = BJ. Those Japanese trucks are immaculate, no rust at all and usually fully tricked out! Should be sweet!

Lucky BASTARDS!

TB :D :p :D

Seem to be overpriced up here especially when you compare sale prices in Japan and the cost of importing.

Example: How can a 1989 triuck cost 35k cdn when it probably sold for that new and maybe even less.

Buyer Beware at least when it comes to price.

I havnt seen a bj74 or hj61 offered for sale for anywhere near 35k, most seem to be 20k or less. I imagine its called profit..........ya know for the guy who buys it in Japan, does all the paper work and has it shipped over to canada. Or you can do it yourself........

[quote author=gunmech link=board=21;threadid=9640;start=msg84714#msg84714 date=1073283498]
Seem to be overpriced up here especially when you compare sale prices in Japan and the cost of importing.

Example: How can a 1989 triuck cost 35k cdn when it probably sold for that new and maybe even less.

Buyer Beware at least when it comes to price.
[/quote]

My dream truck:

1989 BJ-74

Auto tranny (awesome overdrive 0.717)
Cable lockers
Full floater with disks
5.29 gears
PTO winch
Marks 3.05 t-case gears
Marks cruiser crawler 3.00 additional crawl box

2.95 x 5.29 x 3.05 x 3.00 = 142 to 1 (if you include the torque converter at 1.5 x then you get 213 to 1)

Engine RPM at 70 MPH 2604 RPM

Awesome crawl ratio, and great RPM on the highway!

SIGH

TB

I am not going to link to the site and slam anyone in particular but if you search you can find this site.As for profit why should someone charge 12 to 15 k for something they paid
6 to 8 k to get into the country. Not even a new car retailer makes that kind of profit.
As far as I am concerned I did my my homework,compared the prices on the Japanese websites and still find these vehicles overpriced; There are always some bargains and no-one should be denied the profit from their work,however there is nothing wrong with a critical examination of any situation.Doesn't this keep us all honest? Or is profit placed above honesty?

I agree that 35K is way too much but if they can get it then more power to them!

As aware consumers is it not our right to question what we see and to spend our money wisely ? I will continue to question overinflated prices and "NO" i do not think they deserve it even if they try to get as much as they can.

Keep it real; and affordable for all.

If my next truck happens to come from Japan then it is because I took the time and imported it myself or paid a "reasonable fee" to someone else.

I shop around. After all it's my money.

[quote author=gunmech link=board=21;threadid=9640;start=msg85256#msg85256 date=1073360966]
As aware consumers is it not our right to question what we see and to spend our money wisely ? I will continue to question overinflated prices and "NO" i do not think they deserve it even if they try to get as much as they can.

Keep it real; and affordable for all.

If my next truck happens to come from Japan then it is because I took the time and imported it myself or paid a "reasonable fee" to someone else.

I shop around. After all it's my money."

The quote box messed up in here. The following is from me except where indicated :whoops:

You are missing the basic premise of capitalism. let the market determine the prices. If it is too much money then dont buy it. Eventually, if enough people think it is too much money they will go out of business or lower their prices.

If you want to sell me your house and I tell you that I think it is too much and to be fair to everyone you need to lower your price, of your house, that you bought, with your money, what would you say?

It is your money and you are right to want to be careful how you spend it. Why is it wrong for them to try and charge more than you think it is worth? What if I have more money than time and I just want to pay for the truck; no matter what the price? Am I wrong for wanting to spend my money how I wish?

You said "Keep it real; and affordable for all" so that means you have the ability to determine what is affordable for all. What if I can afford more that you can?

Free market economy keeps it all rolling. Dont like the price then dont buy
[/quote]

I agree with both Gunmech and David, that's why I am also looking overseas, primarily Oz, for parts that I need or want if I feel that I'm getting hosed here. I'd rather buy it here and even allow a bit of markup, after all someone has to do the foot work, but I won't be hosed if I can avoid it. If the markup becomes a bigger hassle than the footwork I'll go direct, I've done it before and I'll do it again!
$200 precombustion chambers from Toyota Canada, landed for $25 a piece!

Yes, it is your money, and yes you have the right to question prices, but this idealistic, euphorian crap about keeping it real, and affordable to all is simply a crock. Life is not fair, and it seems as though you have yet to learn this. This site that you talk about is most probably not targeted at you or I, and to go on about how everyone deserves an equal chance at something, well, I guess that I do not buy into this one bit.

Start your own importation company, keep us posted on how it works out for you.

Have you contacted these people doing the importing? I bet the reason that he has the cost listed at that level, is to keep every person with an entitlement mentality from wasting his time on a search for a vehicle that they could not at first contact, and will not ever purchase, or this has been the case in the past, and has not had a problem since posting them at the current level.

I guess before whining about something not being fair, I would look into more than just a posted cost of an item that you could not get here in any other traditional means.

But what do I know...

Good luck!

-Steve

Well a great debate.

Fair market value seems to be an empty concept here. By the way I have talked to an importer and know his profit margins.I know what he gets them into the country for. I posted some links to Japanese prices on another board a while back . For those who wish to follow those links by all means do the math and come to your own conclusions.
The conclusion I came to is given the price in Japan and the cost of importing versus the prices I have seen on some websites then in "my opinion" some of these vehicles are overpriced. Period. This is my opinion. Works for me. Causes others to foam at the mouth.
I was shot at by the Serbs and the Croats. You guys are firing blanks.

[quote author=gunmech link=board=21;threadid=9640;start=msg85342#msg85342 date=1073370312]
Well a great debate.

Fair market value seems to be an empty concept here. By the way I have talked to an importer and know his profit margins.I know what he gets them into the country for. I posted some links to Japanese prices on another board a while back . For those who wish to follow those links by all means do the math and come to your own conclusions.
The conclusion I came to is given the price in Japan and the cost of importing versus the prices I have seen on some websites then in "my opinion" some of these vehicles are overpriced. Period. This is my opinion. Works for me. Causes others to foam at the mouth.
I was shot at by the Serbs and the Croats. You guys are firing blanks.

[/quote]

The funny thing here is that i agree with almost all that you said here. I also think they are overpriced but that does not mean I want them to lower their prices or think there is anything wrong with them charging whatever they want for their product.

I can buy a house for 100K or build it myself for 50k. Does that mean the guy that builds the house should sell it for 50K just beacuse I "could" build it for 50K?

BTW:
I am not foaming at the mouth. Once they thought I had rabies but I got the shots.

I was shot at in Iraq (What does your statement have to do with anything?)

Yes, I am firing blanks. My wife and I decided we did not want any parasites in our household.

Bought this 1989 HZJ75 pickup in West Australia for 12,000 AUS$:
wa_toy.jpg

Great truck! Used it for 7 weeks for holidays and sold it there for 9,000 AUS$ :'(

Ton

BJ73 on ebay 2452938560

$12,100 with 8 days to go-

Thos wo't determine street value, but inflated ebay value (like 1,000's of examples of all products selling for more than retail etc)

Ahhhhh, eBay, the ultimate free-market economy. I bet the limited number of Japanese vehicle importers are watching closely at the outcome. They'd be fools to sell their vehicle cheaper than what the market would pay.

My sources tell me a BJ73 (3B powered, non turbo) and no lockers sell for a lot less than a BJ74 in Japan. So there goes our hope for getting a BJ74 for $3500 :p

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom