IH '74 Scout II, MOPAR BB 440, building... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Some might know my builds (see pics) and generally I stick to IH iron under the hood... but I have a flawless rust free 74 that came empty... no heart or soul... so I have no guilt, and I had a ton of great luck fall my way.

440 is 1974 November build (crazy coincidence right?!!!)... and was in a motorhome with 10K miles... only. TQ 850 carb, RV cam... no smoke/oil/issues....

I also had a BB Mopar bell and tranny fall into my lap at the right price ($200)... recently rebuilt, big block Mopar bell, Advance Adapters ... adapter (!), D-20, and mated to an IH TF-727. (yeah... all for $200!)

Now... bringing everything together... need to talk to OTHER BB MOPAR Scout guys...
Please hit me here... or direct via email (GotScout@gmail) ... and let me know what works best or fails horribly...

Planning on Performer Intake... and simplifying some of the redundancies the RV on top created... electric control mod, and LOTS of vacuum portings... Oh... has killer headers already.

Thoughts....

Performer intake
Roller rockers
Pertronix? (MSD?... similar)
Dana 60 rear with Detroit Locker (already have this... but might change the 4.10's and move it over)
33G tank under
45G tank over
Elec fuel pump(?)
dual 3" electric cut-outs. (just because eventually I am going to need to stomp!)

Not sure what else, yet. Don't want to blow money pointlessly though... no head changes or grinding until all the bolt on gains are done...

Thanks for pending replies!!!

Last edited:
Update...

It is actually a "440-3", which changes everything. A tip for others... these engine can be had for a screaming deal... however there are some major limitations and you CANNOT just bolt on improvements.... as the heads are special... the water pump is special, the gasket sets are special... basically... it is special.

Parts can be had... but you need to know what you need... and the parts houses and EVERYONE "440"... have no idea what you really need.

I am getting my parts and will compile special parts #'s lists later along with the updates as this progresses.

How much power are you shooting for?

I have a '76 440-3 in a motorhome with about 28K miles on it. It's been very reliable over the years and I've never thought it under-powered, even pulling a 16 foot enclosed trailer full of toys. Not quick, but plenty of pull.

How much power are you shooting for?

Not sure NOW with the gains... as changing heads and porting and bolt on goodies... went out the window. So now... clean it, freshen it, reseal it... then see what the compression and the numbers are. The RV cam will be a turbo boost for the Scout... since it will be missing the extra 30,000 pounds! After that I will play with gearing options.... I have Dana 44's with 3:73's and 3:54s.... and the ideal HEAVY Dana 60... with a Detroit and 4:10 gears... but I HATE the 4:10s... and I want this to be a highway cruiser, top speed and total sleeper.

So where the 4:10s look ideal to some... I wan't 3:07's or 3:31's.... but then I'd lose the D-60 carrier and detroit... so... no.

At the moment... I have no idea. I'd like a top end 150 mph Scout... but without visual clues blowing the "sleeper"... don't know if that is now out the window.

Not bummed... just a different plan dumped on me...

If you could send me a list of all the known filters and gasket sets... I'd appreciate it huge. I'll have a shared list for others... once I do the mod, work out the bugs, and have it easy to follow. Thanks! -Big.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom