74 piggie won't start (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Same problem as the one in my build up thread although I'll try to explain it better on this thread. So yesterday, I filled up and tried to return to parking spot which requires me to go up a small hill. On the way up, the pig stalled (my fault I think, I wasn't giving it much gas) so I rolled down to level ground. Attempted to start multiple times, yesterday all I was getting was the sound of the starter spinning. Eventually, the voltage regulator I believe started smoking and I found burned wires from the VR. Can anyone tell me if the VR is located on the drivers side fenderwell close to the headlight? Or what is this part? I took the part off and repaired to ruined wires.
I left it over night on the street and tried again today. Battery was weak from my attempts the night before so I tried to jump start.
The starter engaged the engine and spun the crank with the extra juice but still no luck. So I checked to make sure I was getting fuel to the carb which I am. I had my brother pour a little bit of fuel down the carb as I cranked and punched the gas pedal. This NEARLY worked. The pig sputtered and coughed but would not get any further past that. My battery is weak again so I'm gonna charge some more and give it another go. However, my brother also told me that on the last attempt, the VR was smoking again so I'm gonna take it off and see if I can do more repairs. Any and all help is appreciated, especially in identifying that part. I'll post some pics if needed.

VR yep. picture worth 1000 wds.

the old VRs are rebuildable (not that I have done that). the new aftermarket replacements are not. I would think at this point u'd hold off on startup until you can get a replacement.

your VR like mine run for productions 7/70 to 7/75 (maybe a little later).

Last edited:
That's for sure the VR? I'll posts some pictures soon then.

Yeah, I am slow so, I just went out and looked at mine again:lol:
I couldn't stand the thought of premature dementia so I double checked.

see where i added to the first post.

Yeah, I am slow so, I just went out and looked at mine again:lol:
I couldn't stand the thought of premature dementia so I double checked.

see where i added to the first post.

Coolio It appears that the wiring coming off the regulator is just bad because it had corroded and then grounded out and burned all the wiring. I'll spend some time tonight rewiring it with a soldering gun and new wires because the toyota connectors are still good. New ones from toyota aren't still available? I had no idea the VR was required for startup but I guess it makes sense.

Coolio It appears that the wiring coming off the regulator is just bad because it had corroded and then grounded out and burned all the wiring. I'll spend some time tonight rewiring it with a soldering gun and new wires because the toyota connectors are still good. New ones from toyota aren't still available?

Not available that I know of. I cut a bunch of connectors off of crusher bound toy sedans some years ago for that reason.

Oh I should add that I have a new VR from SOR that I never used before however this one only has three connections while my current one has six as well as what looks like a condensor attached to it. Does that make sense? I'll add pics to add to the explanation as well soon...hopefully.

Oh I should add that I have a new VR from SOR that I never used before however this one only has three connections while my current one has six as well as what looks like a condensor attached to it. Does that make sense? I'll add pics to add to the explanation as well soon...hopefully.

Sounds odd to me. My 55 had an aftermarket that went bad (no burn up but a draining battery). Luckily I had pulled one off of an old MarkII and had another that was on my 7/70 carcass. Effectively they were all the same except that the aftermarket was sealed and could not be rebuilt. I will go grab one that should have the part number for your year model.

Thanks a bunch. The part number was almost the same as the new one from SOR. I hope I can rebuild this one so that I can at least move it enough to park it for the upcoming months.

Yeah, I'll have to go look on the 55 tomorrow in the light the one on my shelf is barely legible...think the last digits are 33010

you know that thing about almost......

But I have fudged a lot. figure at least short term 12v system is a 12 volt system. I'm running a sedan ignitor in my 55 currently (for the last year) I may have it backwards but I was told years ago that last series (as above) are the part ID vs the gen. auto application. So much to say a VR with 33010 is the same but the first series of numbers designate the particular auto manufacture it is intended to go to in the factory assembly.

edit: on the extra line it should just be a single connector / plug (for what I do not know--never seen one hooked up to date).

Here's the promised pics. Sorry they are a bit late. The part number reads- 2770033010
022309075100.jpg

022309075101.jpg

the three wire vr is for 76 and later. 75 and earlier should be six wire. they are not interchangeable. can't say for sure on the six wire, but on a three wire, vr will not affect starting, you'll just show negative charge on your ammeter until you plug it in.

the three wire vr is for 76 and later. 75 and earlier should be six wire. they are not interchangeable. can't say for sure on the six wire, but on a three wire, vr will not affect starting, you'll just show negative charge on your ammeter until you plug it in.

Good to know. I guess SOR sent me the wrong one.

Little update and a fuel related question.
So I repaired the VR wiring (the inside looks fine) and hooked it up. I charged the battery and attempted to start. I get a lot of white smoke out of the tail pipe and coughing and sputtering but it won't turn over completely. I know that I am getting fuel to the intake on the carb. Is there any way that there could be an obstruction inside the carb or between the manifold and engine? How can I tell if there is?

did it want to stay running or die immediately?

did it want to stay running or die immediately?
It stayed running because I was flooring it. If I hadn't then it would have died immediately, even with the choke pulled all the way out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom