Builds 74 Pig Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DesertLake

SILVER Star
Threads
After reading a lot of helpful build threads, I swore I'd return the favor. Then I stripped her down without a writeup, so time to catch up...

205835924_nkNYB-M.jpg

This is a '74 that my parents bought around '76. SBC conversion not long after that. Factory air. :cool:

My dad set this thing up to tow, and it is STIFF. Added 1 leaf in front, two in back iirc.

This was a daily driver for close to 30 years, my daily driver for about 7 of that. She's been sitting for the last few, due mostly to doors that were ready to fall off. I've been planning this operation for a long time. Planning is too strong a word.

Driver's side front fender is pretty bent up following a collision with an AMC Pacer when I'd had my license for maybe two months. Both front fenders are rusted through. Both back corners are also rusted through. I see just enough rust on the rockers to think they're ready to go - so I picked up a pair of IPOR's rockers. Too bad I don't know how to weld - yet.

I'm starting with the body, as the drive train still works (more or less).

Last edited:
A little more history...

At some point my dad added a Vap-r-kool setup, which was a water tank and pump in the back and a sprayer in front of the radiator. Worked wonders while towing a largish boat from Bakersfield to Tahoe in August.

Years later (10 years ago?!) the pump is rusted up, the tank is cracked, the old radiator isn't radiating like it used to, and I need to get up out of the valley and home to Reno in the middle of summer.

This has got to be one of my most inspired redneck improvisations:

226693312_9Tmt7-M.jpg

Temp gets a little high, stomp the water bottle, instant temperature drop. Yes, it worked. :hillbilly:

When I started the teardown, I discovered I'd left the bottle under the seat all this time. Had to preserve the memory before ripping it out.

Last edited:
A few months later...

237979262_zoV75-M.jpg

If it's sheetmetal and it unbolts it's off, excepting the gas door.

I gutted the doors before removing them, to keep them relatively light. Lots of worn out door internals, particularly driver's latch and regulator.

Some days it starts better than others - this one was unusually smoky.

I had to cut the rubber to get the windshield and cargo windows out. I tried to preserve the rear door small window rubber, but it disintegrated. I've got replacement rubber for all but those small windows - go Slocruisers go!

Around 10 years ago I had to have part of the hitch cut out to pull and repair the fuel tank. I kept the part they cut out, this pic documents the hitch before I cut the rest out to remove the bumper.

261687173_ib67M-M.jpg

Door cracks

Here's my cracked driver's side door. Working against the spring in that hinge nearly every day for 30 years took its toll. That and a few uncontrolled wind and slope enhanced swing outs.

284288583_3SRdG-M.jpg

My cousin welded up the cracks, and we ground it down smooth, but it has a serious sag between the outer two holes and the outside of the door. The metal is definitely stretched.

284288752_ConHE-M.jpg

I now own one parts rig and another set of doors, but I'm not confident they're any better or would last any longer. Has anyone reinforced their doors here?

Looks good! Its a hell of alot better start than mine! I wish I could find one with a decent body like that! Keep us updated with pics!

BTW where is washoe valley in relation to Reno. looks like cool country!

Looks good! Its a hell of alot better start than mine! I wish I could find one with a decent body like that! Keep us updated with pics!

Washoe Valley is just south of Reno, just north of Carson City, and a fun ride west of Virginia City. We took that dirt road you see in the first post when I rode along with the BBCNN last year:

http://williamberry.smugmug.com/gallery/3610039_z2Gwm#P-1-16

And thanks by the way!

(Where are my manners?)

Here's what happens when you slam a sagging door for a few years...

293888181_5y2Jj-M.jpg

This is how it's supposed to line up:

293888188_L3ZaG-M.jpg

Back when I lived in an apartment and didn't have anywhere to pull the door apart, I tried hammering the guard down around the shaft. This doesn't help, because the guard isn't what failed. That hole doesn't really support the shaft. The real bearing surface is a punched hole in the larger stamped piece that attaches to the door. A few years of abuse and that hole goes out of round, I doubt there's anything that can be done to repair the part. Between the spare doors and spare door internals hopefully I've got a good one, otherwise I'll figure out how to turn a rear into a front.

No progress in a while other than some welding practice, but since I took more photos for another thread might as well put them up here too.

When the original SBC conversion was done, the radiator was moved closer to the engine, I assume to get it closer to the fan. You can also see the VapRKool sprayer up top.

317056832_JqgEJ-M.jpg

That still didn't get it close enough, so an extra extension was used between the fan and water pump. Every few years, the pump would fail and the fan would happyface the radiator. Back in 92 or 93 I built a fiberglass shroud and got rid of the fan extension.

317056685_NTN3g-M.jpg

This time around I think I'll move the radiator back to its original location and run an electric fan - if anyone can give me a comparison of shrouded fan performance vs electric fan performance please let me know.

Also, does anyone recognize the compressor mount? I don't know if it was an off the shelf item, or if whoever did the conversion welded it up.

:cheers:

No measurable progress, no pictures.

Lots of welding practice.

Advice: don't buy the cheapo hammer and dolly set unless you have access to a good benchtop belt sander and a lot of time on your hands. I couldn't get a picture of the low spots, but trust me they are there...

No measurable progress, no pictures.

Lots of welding practice.

Advice: don't buy the cheapo hammer and dolly set unless you have access to a good benchtop belt sander and a lot of time on your hands. I couldn't get a picture of the low spots, but trust me they are there...

And the adjusted sales pitch should be? TWICE THE WORK FOR 1/2 THE PRICE! :frown:

I really haven't had time to do any significant work this summer.

I did get the garage cleaned up, and after taking the Landcruiser for a spin around the yard, removed the seat and started in on the floor insulation.

I'm not sure if I'm doing this the most efficient way, but it's satisfying like picking a scab. Anybody have any tips on how to get the little bits out? The plastic chisel works, but it's going to take quite a while.

So far I've only found one rust-through under there, the small area near the handle of the chisel on the left. The larger rust area in the upper left is probably pretty thin too, not too bad considering.

367120826_4tp4Q-L.jpg

At some point a coffee stirrer must have gotten between the floor mat and insulation.

367120875_fZa4R-L.jpg

flat pieces of dry ice. lay them on the tar sound deadening for a few minutes, remove them with gloves, and wack the floor with a hammer lightly. It shatters when frozen with dry ice, so it comes up easily, and generally doesnt leave the half moons behind, still stuck to the floor.

Man McDonalds will market their logo wherever they can! That is too funny.

I didn't have any floor insulation on my :pig:. But on the roof, I used small amounts of heat on the glue on the roof & it peeled off *fairly easily. Don't use a wire wheel or it smears :doh: HTH!

Thanks! I was going to try a wire wheel soon. :cheers:

The dry ice did the trick. Wish I'd spent the $8 to do the front two thirds, but at least the back third came up pretty clean.

367982009_4xTCG-L.jpg

Once I had the big pieces out, I used the dry ice to chill the floor and knock off the larger chunks from the front.

367982137_NZ3Cn-L.jpg

Thanks again, CruiserBrett! :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom