74 FJ40, Took the top off dropped the Windshield... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.w2m.com
No problems at all if anyone is thinking topless..........

Man, have I been missing out.....I have had many FJ40's, never took a top off before.

Thanks to the wife, I just about gave up after taking out one side of screws (they came out effortlessly by the way, lube em up the night before and bingo)

she was so jazzed on a top off cruiser it kept me going.

Kind of a bummer with husband and wife removal, but it went reasonably well, going wheeling in a few, I will snap some digitals.

thx for all the top off support, I feel like I have a diff. rig all together, actually feels like a GO-CART with the windshield dropped.

:beer: :cheers: YEE HAW !! Topless.

I am holding off on the body resto on my 74, going with a OME Lift this week...............where should I buy ??? .....Dakar Heavy is in order....:)

Also:
Will FJ60 Wheels fit on my 1974 FJ40....I picked up a set of them with BFG AT/KO's.

Top off and the doors in the corner, hell you don't even need doors really. They wouldn't have made it removable if it wasn't meant to be off.

Nice score by the way!

It's a whole new world, isn't it? I just ran last weekend with no doors or top (SOR Extreme summer top). The truck was more spirited, and the 33's never touched the inner fenderwell (stock suspension!)

be careful -

once you get used to the extra power and height, it sucks to put the top back on... almost makes me wish it didn't rain/snow around here.... almost :)

Another benefit is having less sq.inch area for the wind to blow around.
Driving the Bay-Bridge just isn't the same with the HardTop back on :(

Hoping for warm winter,
manny

When I hear of people with 40's that have never had the top off I just cant believe it. Would you own a convertible and not put the top down? Hell, if I lived somewhere that it didnt snow, I dont think I'd even own the hardtop. Thats just me.

Hodag

hodag said:
When I hear of people with 40's that have never had the top off I just cant believe it. Would you own a convertible and not put the top down? Hell, if I lived somewhere that it didnt snow, I dont think I'd even own the hardtop. Thats just me.

Hodag

then there are some that have never had a hard on.....

maybe i'll get lucky this year...

Yeah, driving with the hard top off is the best. That's why I haven't gotten around to putting my hardtop back together and installed it yet, and it's been 2 years... :doh:

I started off with my hard on... :grinpimp:

Man,
What a difference, I cannot believe we have not had a top off..........me and my family had so much fun wheeling today...Kids loved it, I was standing like driving a boat 1/2 the time....

Top off, windshield down....AWESOME !!! :bounce2: :bounce2: :bounce2:

Best $1800 bucks I have ever spent on an offroad toyota........This rig wheels better than my 77 with a 2.5 BDS suspension and 33's...what is up with that, smooth and stable 74 stocker suspension, I see no need for suspension mods at this time..unless serious wheeling is in order..... :cool:

Pics of today..............

sky1.jpg

sky2.jpg

sky4.jpg

Its the end of the world as I know it...!!! doo doo doo
sky3.jpg

looks great Razor, i like my 40 without the top it is a whole new world. this year i chose to leave the top off for the winter just to see how i like it and how bad i freeze my a$$ off. i will only drive when its not rainning but i am curios about the snow, should be a blast.

i took my top off when it was still orange, then painted it black, so my cruiser and doors are black, but the top and rear doors ar Orange. i guess i got some work if im going to put it on any time soon. i have to say no top or doors is kick ass but when it rains it just a shower i need most likly, so its still fun, but in a week or two ill have it back on, sadly. :mad:

pics went i got my 40
6.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg

and Now!
8bf5.jpg
dd1f.jpg
6997.jpg

I sold my hard top and bought a STC (Kayline) soft top. It actually is quiter and less breezy than the old hard top. Toppless is the only way to go.

kick ass,
you got that thing flexed out.............and burried !!

IH8MUD....

Back to tech.........

When removing the 4 bolts up front holding the top to the windshield, a piece of sheet metal came off the roof....should that piece be glued or screwed to the top ??

the L brakets?

Gotta love a wife who's jazzed about taking her top off! Luck Bastage!

no, its a long piece of sheet metal.....the legth of the windshield, part that the 4 front screws wento into, I might need to take some pics.....

thx,

FJ40onNOS said:
the L brakets?

Nothing like a top-off cruiser! That's why I liked my Jeepster Commando so much...just unbolt the hardtop and off you go. I winched it off onto my garage rafters. I needed a bigger family hauler, looked into the removealbe hardtop 4-runner, not big enough...ended up with my Fj55... I miss the open air feeling, but I can haul so much more crap! :eek: Never had that windshield-down feeling, though...

nial

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom