74 FJ40 Steering Box Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All- Apparently I’ve hit the wall on steering box (“gear” as the manual calls it)…. Have big-time leak with a pool of gear oil trickling down from the body and leaf-springs below. Steering works fine without excessive play or any grinding. Haynes manual talks to this being a non-overhaul part without special tools. I’m thinking a seal kit would be all it needs. When I say seal kit, I mean gasket to go around inspection plate on back and shaft two shaft seals. Is my thinking accurate or do I need to fully disassemble for shaft seals and therefore buy a replacement box?
Thx,
Rick

909AB026-C4F0-418F-A0A8-5BE2AC1985F5.jpeg

0EF1B0CE-CFFD-4B1D-83DD-F040E7A3DA57.jpeg

Thanks, will need to get under there and have a look unless anyone else knows if box needs to be cracked open in order to replace shaft seals or can be done externally?

You can buy two replacement seals and change them out pretty easily all things considered. No need for a new box unless internals trashed etc…
You will need to separate at rag joint to pull coupler off of input splines for upper one. For lower one you need a puller to pull the pitman arm off of output splines and expose seal for replacement. I did this on my 09/73 and it took care of my leaks. Make sure to mark both pieces prior to removal for indexing purposes. Some of us like to learn the hard way. ;)

nik

TPI has a kit, I got my seals from SOR though because they're local.

EDIT - nice rig!
EDIT EDIT - SOR (and maybe the FSM) mentioned packing it with grease instead of gear oil, which of course shouldn't leak. I'm replacing my seals and going with gear oil, at least at first.

You can buy two replacement seals and change them out pretty easily all things considered. No need for a new box unless internals trashed etc…
You will need to separate at rag joint to pull coupler off of input splines for upper one. For lower one you need a puller to pull the pitman arm off of output splines and expose seal for replacement. I did this on my 09/73 and it took care of my leaks. Make sure to mark both pieces prior to removal for indexing purposes. Some of us like to learn the hard way. ;)

nik
Thanks Nik! Digging the snorkel on ur rig, Safari/ARB? Thinking about that for mine, not cuz it looks cool (which it does), but because one of the two previous owners put a Rochester Two-Jet carb on mine. I’m ok with it but poking around here it appears people prefer the Weber or Aisin. Either way the Rochester pulls hot engine bay air through the standard round-filter aircleaner. Would like to get to cooler air being consumed. Do you or anyone else, have an elegant solution to get to cool dense air, I.e carb, aircleaner, duct , snorkel?
Thx,
LR

TPI has a kit, I got my seals from SOR though because they're local.

EDIT - nice rig!
EDIT EDIT - SOR (and maybe the FSM) mentioned packing it with grease instead of gear oil, which of course shouldn't leak. I'm replacing my seals and going with gear oil, at least at first.
I too like the idea of servicing gear oil vs having to pull apart the box to change grease….maybe I’m wrong…. Lastly, feel like it should be oil given it has a breather valve as part of the filling hole.

Thanks Spike Strip- Entertaining and informative. This a power steering unit for a 60 if I’m understanding…. Mine’s a manual 40. With only a gasket and two shaft seals in the kit mine should be much easier!

Opps, sorry, I linked the wrong vid.

Thanks very much….always good to get a little preview of what ur in for!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom