‘74 FJ40 Rear Pinion Bearings/Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I parked the 40 over a decade ago (total regret) because of a bad rear pinion bearing. Got it running and driving again last week. I found a guy that’s a drivetrain guru. Got a quote for about $500 if I bring in the 3rd member for a bench rebuild. That saves $350. My question is, if I do the rebuild myself, does that require setting the gears back up? If the gears aren’t hurt and I reuse whatever shims that are currently in place, can I just do it myself?

i have a nice used 3rd memeber here for 50 bucks plus the ride already to install

i have a nice used 3rd memeber here for 50 bucks plus the ride already to install
Actually, I have an extra set of front and rear axles but I didn’t want to cannibalize them if I didn’t have to. If the ratio is the same. I may have to reconsider it though. Your price is fair enough and I appreciate the offer.

proper way is to install new bearings and set up the gears red neck way is to install new bearings and run it .ive done that more than once with good results .not right but it worked if you have hubs you could put the third in the front where it wont be used as much and might not matter .probably not good advise on my part but something i did and probably got lucky

When you talk about rebuilding it yourself, does that mean you have the necessary tools?

As of right now, I don’t and don’t know if they’d be worth buying. I see where you’re going and it’s making sense. This machine is not intended for hard wheeling. It’s bone stock original. Not even lifted and the rear wells are not cut.

dsid you try to tighten the pinion nut a lot of times thats all it takes to get you on the road

dsid you try to tighten the pinion nut a lot of times thats all it takes to get you on the road
No, I haven’t. I just removed the rear shaft and ran on the front in 4 HIGH. I’m thinking more about just letting the shop do it now. Should have done that years ago but I made a trip out to KS (back then) and picked up a set of axles, extra doors, windshield, etc. with the plan of swapping them. Should’ve just put the money in the rear. I feel me talking myself into that as I type.

If we were talking about an engine rebuild, there’s no way I would consider letting anyone else do it. But, I’ve only had two differentials rebuilt out of all I’ve owned. That being said, if I just come off the cash, that’s probably going to be the last time it will need it. So yeah, I think letting him just do it is the way to go. Only question is do I want to pull the 3rd or just pay him to do it all.

Only question is do I want to pull the 3rd or just pay him to do it all.

No one here can answer that question for you.

You have a group of options before you. Just depends on how much you like wrenching and/or what your time is worth.

One tip if you try it yourself, get a solid spacer and shims for the pinion vs. the crush sleeve. the crush sleeves are one time use so if you have to adjust the pinion shims you will need extra crush sleeves. The carrier bearings are adjustable so it isnt all that bad, if you find you can't get a proper pattern, then drop it at shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom