74 FJ40 drive comfort and concerns. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It's been awhile but my attention is back on my '40. It's mostly stock. I acquired it with a 2F but F accessory brackets,
a janky power steering upgrade, shackle reverse, and '60 disk brakes up front with an SOA lift.

I've returned it to spring under, installed a Saginaw PS box and appropriate 2F alternator bracket so the belts are back in alignment, and a rear disk brake kit.

While driving, it screams, probably perception due to the direct drive fan, at 55 mph. I noticed, after completing all the work (cut/turn and spring perches, the front seems to have a degree or so of positive camber. Normal?

On to drive comfort. I would like a more relaxing feel from the drive train at highway speeds. NV4500/NP205 seems to be the suggestion for the overdrive. I found a driving Dodge 1500 4x4 manual 5.3L for sale. Install the whole thing or swap/adapt a different engine?

Wifey wants me to do a frame off resto/resto-mod. I usually build street cars and just getting familiar with 4x4 world and in the planning stage. Suggestions appreciated.

20150522_115914.jpg

Last edited:
If this is your first time really driving one, yes they are usually noisy and uncomfortable unless you do a lot of work

The engine swap would make it go faster if that's what you want

2F, H42, early or mid TC, 3.70 axle gears, bigger than stock tires. The earlier TC (or Orion) has a lower low-range option.

My stock 75 with worn-out 2F, and 28" tires feels pretty good on the highway, but the 3.70 gears and bigger tires would help.

A Chevy 250 has a shorter stroke, and I would totally do one if I wanted to spin a straight-six faster. I think that I'm pretty solo when it comes to this idea, but, it seems like a better fit for the exhaust, etc.

The NV4500 setup that I saw on a SBC with split case adapter seemed like a bit of a squeeze getting it to fit with the rear axle in a stock location, but, this might just be the way to go. The H55 with split case seems like the most appropriate fit, on a short 40, if you want overdrive.

I would like a more relaxing feel from the drive train at highway speeds.

Like @Dizzy said, 4-speed transmission, 3.70 diff gears from a late 40, and 33" tires will make 65 mph comfortable and 75 mph possible.

Like @Dizzy said, 4-speed transmission, 3.70 diff gears from a late 40, and 33" tires will make 65 mph comfortable and 75 mph possible.
Thanks. Have 33" tires. 3.70 might be the way to go, since I'm not going to be wheeling this. I have a Can Am X3 RS Turbo R with 24" of independent wheel travel for that activity.

2F, H42, early or mid TC, 3.70 axle gears, bigger than stock tires. The earlier TC (or Orion) has a lower low-range option.

My stock 75 with worn-out 2F, and 28" tires feels pretty good on the highway, but the 3.70 gears and bigger tires would help.

A Chevy 250 has a shorter stroke, and I would totally do one if I wanted to spin a straight-six faster. I think that I'm pretty solo when it comes to this idea, but, it seems like a better fit for the exhaust, etc.

The NV4500 setup that I saw on a SBC with split case adapter seemed like a bit of a squeeze getting it to fit with the rear axle in a stock location, but, this might just be the way to go. The H55 with split case seems like the most appropriate fit, on a short 40, if you want overdrive.
the 74 tc will have the lower low range gear set.

the 74 tc will have the lower low range gear set.
Might depend on whether the '74 came with a 3 speed or 4 speed transmission.

Might depend on whether the '74 came with a 3 speed or 4 speed transmission.
nope.
those low gears lasted till march or april of 75
that's why there are parts to adapt the so called three spd transfer cases to four speed trans.....cause toyota did it first.

Last edited:
nope.
those low gears lasted till march or april of 75
that's why there are parts to adapt the so called three spd transfer cases to four speed trans.....cause toyota did it first.
:rolleyes:

Well, snooze you loose. That truck sold, but had the 5.3L which has the NV3500. I don't think that is a bad thing other than I haven't seen many recommendations of it for a swap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom