'74 FJ40 in pieces (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I did not have the room for a clutch fan, been using a 17" flex for 12 years but have decided to switch to a 17" solid aluminum mechanical fan. My engine (sbc 350 with some performance mods) I made my shroud so to be perfectly centered with the opening having 1/2" clearance to edge of blades and set to center of fan. You can see my pic and response in the below thread, see posts 24 & 26. Post 12 shows my motor mounted.

FJ 40 SB Chevy conversion running hot? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fj-40-sb-chevy-conversion-running-hot.1315886/#:~:text=FJ%2040%20SB%20Chevy%20conversion%20running%20hot%3F
I think I’m gonna end up using the Caddy fan, dropping the radiator down about 1-1/2” and building a shroud like you are describing. I just zip tied a shop fan onto the radiator for the break-in 😂

Sounds like a great experience! Did you ever find out the root cause of the cam failure?
No, I bought the motor assembled with the Comp Cam but motor was never installed, the previous owner decided to put in a big block after building this (my) sbc. The cause may have been improper valve adjustment, or I have heard and read that the metallurgy (not sure that's the right word) could have been bad, and this is something common with some of the Comp Cams. I had been driving this motor in my 40 for 12 years till the failure.

Last edited:
I think I’m gonna end up using the Caddy fan, dropping the radiator down about 1-1/2” and building a shroud like you are describing. I just zip tied a shop fan onto the radiator for the break-in 😂
I needed to replace the OEM radiator with an aluminum 4 core since I installed the 700R4 automatic and needed cooling for it.

No, I bought the motor assembled with the Comp Cam but motor was never installed, the previous owner decided to put in a big block after building this (my) sbc. The cause may have been improper valve adjustment, or I have heard and read that the metallurgy (not sure that's the right word) could have been bad, and this is something common with some of the Comp Cams. I had been driving this motor in my 40 for 12 years till the failure.
Yeah there’s lots out there about bad lifter and cam materials in recent years.

Here is the clip I took amid the chaos. It’s short, but proof is proof.

Did you have a tach hooked up to it? I have broken in a couple of cams and always run the motor between 2,000 and 2,500 rpm's for 30 minutes then changed the brake in oil and filter with new brake in oil and filter. Run for 500 or so miles and do a final oil and filter change with the oil of your choice.

Did you have a tach hooked up to it? I have broken in a couple of cams and always run the motor between 2,000 and 2,500 rpm's for 30 minutes then changed the brake in oil and filter with new brake in oil and filter. Run for 500 or so miles and do a final oil and filter change with the oil of your choice.
I had a small instrument panel hooked up for break in back on the passenger side frame rail. Tach, oil and temp were on it. I ran everything around 2k rpm or so for about 30 minutes. Break in oil was Lucas 20w50 high zinc with a Wix filter. Oil was changed immediately after break in with VR-1 20w50 and a Wix filter. The clip of the video was after I set the mix screws and timing by vacuum, just before dropping the idle.

I’ve been fighting the timing on the cheap distributor I bought. Finally figured out the cap was extremely loose on the body. Buy nice or buy twice right? I was planning on putting electronic ignition in eventually anyway so I just sent it and installed a Pertronix billet distributor and new coil. Runs so much better and everything is all dialed in now.

Serpentine swap is complete. Also added a Taurus electric fan
IMG_0704.jpeg

Much has happened lately:
  • Moved the engine/trans/transfer forward about 1-1/4" to aid in firewall clearance and prevent future cooling problems
  • Finished driveshafts
  • Rebuilt parking brake assembly
  • Brazed up leaking fuel tank
  • Painting lots of goodies formerly living dull lives in storage totes

Apparently Santa rolls in a FedEx truck dropping off Real Steel boxes now...

Quarter panels.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom