‘74 Choke Cable (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently the choke has become excessively hard to pull.

Would it be the carb causing this or friction from the cable? What would be some troubleshooting steps I could take to see the cause?

And what would be the appropriate part number if for a ‘74 if I needed to get a new one?

Solution
One trick if your cable is in good condition, is to unhook cable from Carb and tape a small funnel to the end, just over the outer sheath. Hang the funnel end from the hood and liberally squirt your lube of choice so it drains down into the cable. Will take a couple days depending on weather.

I use this, works great:

motion_pro_cable_lube_750x750.jpg
I did something closed to this. I cut a small corner out of a quart Ziplock freezer back and ran the cable in to the bag. Then I taped off the bag and sprayed the lubricant in the bag and supported it so it drained in to the cable. Worked like a charm. I also wrapped the choke, with a rag and sprayed in to were the...
Unhook the cable at the carb and see if the choke actuating lever is stiff when manually moving it. You can also see if the cable is stiff as the source of the problem.

Rust in the cable … remove it … soak it… free it… reinstall it
What to soak it in? Vinegar? WD40? I’ll do this after I figure out if it’s the carb or cable.

Unhook the cable at the carb and see if the choke actuating lever is stiff when manually moving it. You can also see if the cable is stiff as the source of the problem.
I’ll try this!

Check the routing as well to make sure it’s correct. Could be too tight of a bend or something. But ya, clean and lube.

One trick if your cable is in good condition, is to unhook cable from Carb and tape a small funnel to the end, just over the outer sheath. Hang the funnel end from the hood and liberally squirt your lube of choice so it drains down into the cable. Will take a couple days depending on weather.

I use this, works great:

I use this, works great:

Nice, thank you.

Another good tip is if your cable sheath is broken and exposing the inner metal part you can put a couple of layers of shrink tube on it to help protect he inner wire. The cheap roll stuff found at Lowes, Ace, Homer De'Pot will be sufficient until you have to replace.

Nice, thank you.
I did something closed to this. I cut a small corner out of a quart Ziplock freezer back and ran the cable in to the bag. Then I taped off the bag and sprayed the lubricant in the bag and supported it so it drained in to the cable. Worked like a charm. I also wrapped the choke, with a rag and sprayed in to were the choke feeds in to the dash. All this made a huge difference. My wife is super grateful cause she can actually manipulate the choke now. Wish I would have taken some pictures.

I use this, works great:

I did something closed to this. I cut a small corner out of a quart Ziplock freezer back and ran the cable in to the bag. Then I taped off the bag and sprayed the lubricant in the bag and supported it so it drained in to the cable. Worked like a charm. I also wrapped the choke, with a rag and sprayed in to were the choke feeds in to the dash. All this made a huge difference. My wife is super grateful cause she can actually manipulate the choke now. Wish I would have taken some pictures.

Solution

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom