'74-75 FJ40 Winch options Question - discussion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The units themselves are pretty basic and robust. Wear items would be solenoids, motors, and maybe brake parts. Of course don't forget the cable. Motors probably just need brushes.

cant beat the 8274

fast as all get out, watch your fingers

The units themselves are pretty basic and robust. Wear items would be solenoids, motors, and maybe brake parts. Of course don't forget the cable. Motors probably just need brushes.

Thread in the recovery section about how Warn no longer offers just brushes for the old motors. Something to research before buying a older used winch, availability of replacement parts. I run Factory PTO winches. Collected a number of parts just because knew parts would become NLA.

Warn 8274 and Vintage FJ40s go together like pork and beans, steak and taters and Click and Clack.

Even the original factory pto driven winch doesn't have it like the Gold Standard Warn 8274.

The 8274 winch has undoubtedly rescued more unfortunate jeep owners than any other brand or type.

FJ40 and Warn 8274 winch...both are legends.

Just one man's opinion. (Who owns an old 8274 attached to his old FJ40.)

and chicks dig the 8274!

Untitled.jpg

I'm liking the idea of restoring an older 8274 (metal remote socket) with newer components then it's the best of both.

As for trouble climbing hills. The FJ runs fine it's a Weber carb probably running a touch rich but it's great on cruising speeds. Which around town the speed limit is 50-60mph on side streets. The hill I had issues on was crossing a mountain pass on the Oregon / California border with 1/2 tank of gas. Which got me thinking about the limitations of a PTO.

So now that we are pro 8274 what is the proper mounting configuration? Above the bumper or in the bumper?

1. Not sure I remember correctly, but I think normal winches hold 100 feet of cable, and the 8274 holds 150 feet- - -home run.
2. A zillion years ago I took a rig that had the cable controlled winch (with dangerously stiff interior cable controls) and installed very smooth/modern cables to the drivers side panel between hood and fender for external winch control. Crazy conversion, but sure worked easily.

The 8274 is probably the best electric winch their is because of all the flexibility is has. The stamp on it says 8k, but they under rated it. Its more like a 10k lb winch. If 10k lb is not enough you can upgrade it to no end. The 9.5k warn motor is a easy upgrade. You can even add dual motors ha. I personally would find one for around 2 or 300 bucks used and rebuild it nice and paint it up. Upgrade the solenoids and the motor. Mounting it inside the bumper makes for a nice fit and reduces grill blockage. As far as alternator, if you have a long pull you can do short spurts with time in between for the alternator to charge the battery in between.
images

upload_2017-9-22_9-12-55.jpeg

5930662.jpg

5930663.jpg

the one thing I don't like about the 8274 on my 40 is its mounted with a Warn plate on the stock bumper, which makes it tall and blocks some of horizontal light from driver side headlight

my 45 has a 4+ bumper which mounts it lower.

I have the 5687 on my 74 love the look. As far as performance goes I have yet to use it so can't really comment on that. @Kayaker is the man for the 5687 winch knowledge. I did swap out the control cables so they are new and work as they're supposed to.

IMG_9623.JPG
IMG_9624.JPG

I also have the Warn bumper that was an option as identified below. I've heard people using an OEM bumper but I've also read about it bending too. The Warn option is definitely thicker gauge metal. Agree with everyone else the lower you can keep the 8274 the better. I have an 8274 that I will be putting on my 75.
IMG_9626.JPG

I wish someone made a OEM looking bumper with a low mount for the 8274, I know there are ones that look stockish, but they dont have the OEM bends/curves and i would also like it to be oem color

I wish someone made a OEM looking bumper with a low mount for the 8274, I know there are ones that look stockish, but they dont have the OEM bends/curves and i would also like it to be oem color

Check out this thread for a modified OEM bumper and he reports no bending in all the years he's used it. And then you can also see the Warn style as I posted that - should help with the mounting plate construction.

Winch question

My 70 in my avatar the original owner lined the inside of the bumper with a piece of 1/4" steel. That would be plenty stout to mount a winch. This has a Ramsey PTO winch was offered thru their dealers even like many other aftermarket parts in the sixties and seventies. Wish I would have asked the story on where he got it. His brother had a Toyota dealership in the mid sixties and he owned a 63 FJ40 before buyer the 70. The one in the brochure seems to be a 72. Curious when Toyota switched from the Ramsey PTO to the Warn electric. Always thought it was interesting they offered a aftermarket PTO winch when they had their own. But they also sold aftermarket soft tops when they made their own.

Question for the masses - I just finished rebuilding this old M8000 and it had what appears to be a type of push/pull cable on/off switch. I figured that if that was good back in the day, why not today? Anybody still run this? Should I go to a solenoid?

20170922_104240.jpg

20170922_104255.jpg

20170922_170928.jpg

Is that mounted inside the engine compartment? If so I would be very hesitant of winching with my hand inside the engine with hood up. Even pulling toward you will move the vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom