'74-75 FJ40 Winch options Question - discussion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is that mounted inside the engine compartment? If so I would be very hesitant of winching with my hand inside the engine with hood up. Even pulling toward you will move the vehicle.
The switch is inside the compartment but the cable runs to the dash to be operated from inside the cab.

Question for the masses - I just finished rebuilding this old M8000 and it had what appears to be a type of push/pull cable on/off switch. I figured that if that was good back in the day, why not today? Anybody still run this? Should I go to a solenoid?

View attachment 1543762

View attachment 1543763

View attachment 1543764

The switch is inside the compartment but the cable runs to the dash to be operated from inside the cab.

Interesting, I wouldn't run it but if that is in a sealed box with well placed mounts and the cable isn't going to be bumped it should be fine.

I would upgrade to a newer unit though myself. It would sure suck if you couldn't turn off your winch after a roll or something and it just kept pulling.

So the winch is power in with only free spool out?
that is correct. No power out. I was thinking about upgrading to the power in/out motor and I know then I would need to add a solenoid to accomplish that. I just haven't seen one of my switches anywhere on this site. That the reason for the ask.
The sad part about this is I have so much time and money in this rig (all of my own - built not bought), I don't what to even run it through a puddle much less winch it through trees and rocks. It might as well be tits on a boar hog.
That may pass once I get it off the beaten path for the first time.

that is correct. No power out. I was thinking about upgrading to the power in/out motor and I know then I would need to add a solenoid to accomplish that. I just haven't seen one of my switches anywhere on this site. That the reason for the ask.
The sad part about this is I have so much time and money in this rig (all of my own - built not bought), I don't what to even run it through a puddle much less winch it through trees and rocks. It might as well be tits on a boar hog.
That may pass once I get it off the beaten path for the first time.

For just this reason downgrade how nice I want to restore any of my Cruisers. Picked up a 99 4Runner a few years ago. Was from Oregon so didn't have the typical peeling clear coat but a few dings and dents. Looks descent but not afraid to use off road.
For a off-road would have to have power out as well as power in. That is one thing the PTOs all have as well as multiple speeds.

Question for the masses - I just finished rebuilding this old M8000 and it had what appears to be a type of push/pull cable on/off switch. I figured that if that was good back in the day, why not today? Anybody still run this? Should I go to a solenoid?

View attachment 1543762

View attachment 1543763

View attachment 1543764

I've got it although I haven't used my winch yet...

IMG_9688.JPG
IMG_9689.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom