73 Spare Tire Mount Pattern (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.billstengel.com
Hello!
The holes on the door for the spare carrier are either welded shut (like the one for the rear wiper is), or Bondoed. I can't see evidence of any of the four holes on the outside of the door and can't go through the inside of the door to poke through. Could someone please give me measurements to at least one of them?
What happens on the inside of the door? Is there a structure already in there with threaded inserts? Is there a part that I need to get to bolt the carrier to? The spare tire carrier diagram and rear door diagrams don't tell much.

Thanks!

Hi
As far as I know, there are versions of the door with and without supporting structures for the spare wheel carrier.
The version with carrier has a quite complex structure inside the door that basically transfers the stress from the carrier straight to the hinges.
It's not only about a few nuts welded somwhere.
You can easily tell by removing the doorcard and look behind the plastik foil into the door. The enforcement structure for the carrier is quite obvious, if present. If not, it will be very difficult to mount a spare wheel carrier at all, I guess. The structural strength of the unequiped door does not support the weight and momentum of the heavy wheel. It will crack sooner or later.
How do I know? My door actually is a no-carrier version and the PO 'converted' it by putting in some struts and, yes, a wooden log.
And it is cracked.

Hi
As far as I know, there are versions of the door with and without supporting structures for the spare wheel carrier.
The version with carrier has a quite complex structure inside the door that basically transfers the stress from the carrier straight to the hinges.
It's not only about a few nuts welded somwhere.
You can easily tell by removing the doorcard and look behind the plastik foil into the door. The enforcement structure for the carrier is quite obvious, if present. If not, it will be very difficult to mount a spare wheel carrier at all, I guess. The structural strength of the unequiped door does not support the weight and momentum of the heavy wheel. It will crack sooner or later.
How do I know? My door actually is a no-carrier version and the PO 'converted' it by putting in some struts and, yes, a wooden log.
And it is cracked.
Thanks for this info, @Felde. When I get it back I plan to look more closely into the door. I only peeled back the vapor barrier a bit to check for rust when I got it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom