73 land Cruiser won’t start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1973FJ 40 Land Cruiser. I recently shipped it from Germany to the USA. Did not have any power upon arrival and needed a new battery which I replaced. Then when I would turn the key nothing would happen. I replaced the starter and still nothing happens when I turn the key. No clicks or anything. But I have power to lights, etc.
What should I check next?

Check your grounds. Not sure how long it’s been on ship heading this way, but corrosion and grounds can cause this. Try direct powering the starter with some leads to see if it turns over. Gear in neutral first obviously.

x2 on checking grounds. Especially to starter. Let us know how it goes.

Nik

x2 on checking grounds. Especially to starter. Let us know how it goes.

Nik
Might want to use a multimeter or 12v test light in order to see if you are getting a solid 12v at the positive side of the coil with the key on. That should tell you if the problem is upstream or down stream. I recently encountered an issue where the wires coming out of the back of the ignition were lose causing intermittent issues with starting. If you are getting 12v at the coil, you can then focus on the coil, starter and distributor. This forum is a terrific source of help and information. So, just keep reporting back and I'm confident that folks here will walk you through troubleshooting and get you back on the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom