73’ land cruiser drum to disc breaks conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am new to all this. I just bought a 73 fj40 and with all original parts. I want to change out the drum breaks that don’t work very good and find a disc break kit. What is the best kit to get and will work with what I have?

Thanks. I’ll take a look at it. Is it a plug and play or is there more to it when installing?
My conversion was done 20+ years ago, so my memory is a little fuzzy. I don’t remember it being all that difficult or a lot of mods. For best results , mix and match fj60 rotors and 4Runner calipers, not sure on the specific years though.

There are several options available depending on the look and feel you're going for. You can choose to use Toyota only parts, GM conversion parts or aftermarket disc brake kits. I chose the aftermarket route for my '73 as I wasn't keeping things all stock having already converted to a Chevrolet V-8 engine years ago and being a hotrod guy. If that may be the route you're going check out the parts offered by TSM MFG. I went with Wilwood calipers front and rear.

There are several options available depending on the look and feel you're going for. You can choose to use Toyota only parts, GM conversion parts or aftermarket disc brake kits. I chose the aftermarket route for my '73 as I wasn't keeping things all stock having already converted to a Chevrolet V-8 engine years ago and being a hotrod guy. If that may be the route you're going check out the parts offered by TSM MFG. I went with Wilwood calipers front and rear.
Thanks. I will take a look at this as well. The others one I found was JT Outfitters. Looks like they are ok but needs a little modification to make them fit. I’ll go look at the TSM before I do anything. Thanks again.
Thanks for the info. I was looking at the JT Outfitters kit but it about $300 more. Thanks for letting me know. Also do you have the original booster or when you change over to disc do you have to change the booster or can you stay with what it had?

Thanks. I will take a look at this as well. The others one I found was JT Outfitters. Looks like they are ok but needs a little modification to make them fit. I’ll go look at the TSM before I do anything. Thanks again.

Thanks for the info. I was looking at the JT Outfitters kit but it about $300 more. Thanks for letting me know. Also do you have the original booster or when you change over to disc do you have to change the booster or can you stay with what it had?

Fronts for sale above. Rears brackets can be purchased thru JTO or @Poser I think. Rest of it can be purchased from Rock Auto.

with most of the aftermarket conversions you can keep your brake booster/brake master set-up but will need to remove the residual valves - once you have decided which kit you are going with you should inquire here again for the details

I ran a Man-a-Fre disk conversion on the front for some 10 years in my '72 40, and it worked like a charm - best brakes I ever had on the 40

since ~7 years, I have run a 60 series outer front axle conversion, first with 60 axle brakes, but then we soon had to go to bigger calipers because the 60 brakes were just not cutting it - and then my 40 series booster quit, so that was replaced with a 4Runner combo of brake booster and master cylinder

without the 60 series knuckle conversion, I'd go for the Man-a-Fre conversion any time again - best brakes I ever had on my 40

whereabouts in Arizona are you ?

As I understand it, the main advantage of the 60 series brake conversion isn’t the calipers Or rotors, but gaining to later birfield with finer splines that are stronger.
The other swap kits that don’t change the early birfield out, are probably fine kits. It’s the extra piece of mind of swapping the birfield that is appealing to many of us.

Sorry I might be a little slow about some of this stuff. It’s just me and my 13 year old son and this project and we don’t have anyone around us that know anything about this stuff. When you are talking about using the fj60 stuff are you talking about taking the whole axel from it and put it on the 40?
also my thought to keep it simple and not having access to a good junk yard I thought about buying calipers, rotors that would be on a 60 and then buy the bracket to mount it. Would that work?

I'm doing mine right now, with mini truck parts, using this thread as a guide:

I am stepping up to vented rotors and Tacoma calipers (I think that is what they are, anyway). I got those additional parts from Marlin Crawler.

It's a fairly big and very messy job, but I think it will be totally worth it.

The thread was awesome. One last question. I have drums front and back so if it get those rotors and calipers would the JTO conversion bracket work with those parts?

I ran a Man-a-Fre disk conversion on the front for some 10 years in my '72 40, and it worked like a charm - best brakes I ever had on the 40

since ~7 years, I have run a 60 series outer front axle conversion, first with 60 axle brakes, but then we soon had to go to bigger calipers because the 60 brakes were just not cutting it - and then my 40 series booster quit, so that was replaced with a 4Runner combo of brake booster and master cylinder

without the 60 series knuckle conversion, I'd go for the Man-a-Fre conversion any time again - best brakes I ever had on my 40

hijack, sorry...

You had Wilwood fronts and they worked much better than the FJ60 brakes?

I currently have Wilwoods, and was thinking about swapping to Toyota brakes, but definitely don't want to downgrade effectiveness. Thanks!

hijack, sorry...

You had Wilwood fronts and they worked much better than the FJ60 brakes?

I currently have Wilwoods, and was thinking about swapping to Toyota brakes, but definitely don't want to downgrade effectiveness. Thanks!
I just bought wildwood for all around on my 71' fj55 from man a fre. Waiting for parts to come in, sure hope I like them they weren't cheap...

I just bought wildwood for all around on my 71' fj55 from man a fre. Waiting for parts to come in, sure hope I like them they weren't cheap...
I talked to someone else about their swapping, from Wilwood, to Toyota. They said the Wilwood bakes worked noticeably better than Toyota. There's a lot to be said for using OEM parts, but these aftermarket brakes do seem to work very well. Also replacement parts aren't as expensive as you'd think. FWIW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom