73 Ford Courier PU Bed trailer Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been looking for awhile and finally found one of these in decent shape, still needs a bunch fixed up but hoping to have my RTT mounted on it before the end of summer and have a chance to take it out.

IMG_8218.jpg

IMG_8216.jpg

IMG_8213.jpg

Need to remove the rear bumper, Fuel Tank (!!!), brake parts from the rear end. Also has two different sized tires on different wheels and one of the tires is badly dry-rotted.

Then i'll fab up a tent rack, wire some lights,etc. Eventually i'll build a new frame from 2x2 steel and use a pintle hitch and ring.

I have a ton of unused Rustoleum Sail Blue from another project (already painted a test section to show the wife)

But this'll probably be a slow build. Already used it to haul an apple tree home and it seems to tow nicely behind my HZJ73.

always thought that it'd be nice to have a spare fuel tank under my trailers... Or if not for gas, at least for water. Good use of space, I think.

I half expected to see the exhaust still hanging under it too with the fuel tank, lines, brake cables, etc :) Can't say I'd ever seen my dad leave a fuel tank under any of the PU trailers he built when I was growing up.

Always thought the early Couriers were the best looking of the 70's import trucks

Installed a tongue jack from HF last night, and also removed the gas tank. It still had about 6gal of rancid Amber-colored fuel in it. :rolleyes:

I was super excited that I got to use my old Safety Siphon to transfer it to a gas can to take to hazmat days when it comes around 🤣 More surprised that the safety siphon actually worked!

Installed a tongue jack from HF last night, and also removed the gas tank. It still had about 6gal of rancid Amber-colored fuel in it. :rolleyes:

I was super excited that I got to use my old Safety Siphon to transfer it to a gas can to take to hazmat days when it comes around 🤣

Finished the fenders, slid some plastic edging on them from O’Reilly’s. Got up early and sanded it a little then squirted some Rustoleum Sail Blue on it
E5650930-0FEA-4947-A7F5-0C00FBE9EE5B.jpeg

51F14C78-9721-437B-B860-CA45B8820793.jpeg

Replacement Courier taillights are NLA, I’m thinking about getting some Mazda Proceed taillights since they are available overseas and look kinda JDM with the two colors. My cruiser already has the flat-7 Narva connector

2EBFB1B7-3C0E-49FE-9B52-14511A4234D3.jpeg

Mounted up some mismatched 245/75-16 mud tires, made some plates to mount rear marker lights.
B496E6D1-43DE-491F-9CFF-7EEA878797E5.jpeg

3F1DCB1E-1F79-45A3-85DA-0B854A540693.jpeg

Still waiting on the Mazda Proceed tail lights, but I did find a spare flat-7 Narva plug in my garage so that’s good.

that is a nice color

My tent needs a new cover. The original one is trashed. Hopefully get the lights wired up and be able to camp soon

Nice build @SKULLYOTA , we build similar trailer a few years back. Didn’t turn out as nice as yours. It now has a rooftop tent on it. Son has it now cause I built another one with a Tacoma bed

@meatloaf i think I saw your thread when I was doing my research. I too plan on eventually building a new frame from 2x2 to get better ground clearance. I like the hard cover on yours too. I was thinking about that option also.

Mine is all ready to go now. Unfortunately I discovered some mildew on our tent when I unfolded it the other day. Cleaned it up as best as i could but it is sadly stained :(

Bought some 420D nylon ripstop from amazon and a host of iron on sealers and seam tapes, will probably lay a piece over the bad spot or patch it somehow. Moral of the story, don't store your RTT over winter leaned up against the shed. The end that was resting on the gravel is where the mildew grew.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom