73 FJ40 wiring help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I have a 1973 FJ40 I'm fixing up and noticed my gauges where not working so I pulled the instrument cluster to make sure it worked (it looks to be in working order no burns and is relatively clean)

Behind the cluster I noticed on the wiring harness a green and white wire was stripped and a the wire was a dark brown color.

I followed this wire about a foot toward the passenger side right above the heater where I noticed what looks to be melted wire.

I just need some wisdom as to what would be the best course of action for this. And what this wire does for sure. I think it goes to the lights possibly according to a diagram I found on here.

I will say my turn signals are on when the lights are on they do not blink just on non stop until I kill the lights.

the first picture is behind the cluster the second is above the heater where I noticed some wire melting.
20220710_124615.jpg
20220710_124559.jpg

You’ll need to pull apart the harness and see what the melting affects. To identify the wires, use the schematics posted here:

Here is a link to my build. I encountered the same issues you are having. All your grounds and connectors need to be checked and cleaned. I added additional grounds which are listed in the build. Scroll down a bit past the mechanical work. Additional wiring information is at the end as well.

You’ll need to pull apart the harness and see what the melting affects. To identify the wires, use the schematics posted here:

Here is a link to my build. I encountered the same issues you are having. All your grounds and connectors need to be checked and cleaned. I added additional grounds which are listed in the build. Scroll down a bit past the mechanical work. Additional wiring information is at the end as well.

Thank you so much. This will help tremendously.

Will do man I'll start with tracing out all the grounds and make sure they are in working order and go from there

Well Green/White is the brake light circuit so first check to see if you have brake lights. Very common problem to have a short in the rear brake light wiring that mainfests itself as melted wires under the dash. This is normally easy to repair, but does involve pulling the harness out and opening it up. Word of advice: When you find melted wires DO NOT start cutting them out! It is so easy to get confused as to where they are supposed to go if you just start cutting. First you need to separate the wires from each other using a X-Acto knife and a sharp blade. Once you have them separated from each other, work on ONE wire at a time! Cut out the bad section, splice in the new then continue to the next wire.

If you need the correct replacement wire and /or connectors and terminals to make repairs, hit my website. Link is in my sig line.

Well Green/White is the brake light circuit so first check to see if you have brake lights. Very common problem to have a short in the rear brake light wiring that mainfests itself as melted wires under the dash. This is normally easy to repair, but does involve pulling the harness out and opening it up. Word of advice: When you find melted wires DO NOT start cutting them out! It is so easy to get confused as to where they are supposed to go if you just start cutting. First you need to separate the wires from each other using a X-Acto knife and a sharp blade. Once you have them separated from each other, work on ONE wire at a time! Cut out the bad section, splice in the new then continue to the next wire.

If you need the correct replacement wire and /or connectors and terminals to make repairs, hit my website. Link is in my sig line.
I am afraid it will be the break lights. I really hope I don't have to pull the whole harness out lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom