'73 FJ40 Upper Dash Pad (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have been looking for some kind of liquid that I could paint over the old dash pad that is squishy and nonskid rubberized, maybe even a nice texture when sprayed. There has to be something out there that isn't plastic and not 300$ option 🤔

flex paste?

You get what you pay for and there's no quick fix. The covers were good (if you can find them now) but the replacement dash pads are far superior. Any time I took a short cut I knew I was compromising my work and every time I saw it I would kick my own ass for doing it.

When I was installing my new OEM one, I was thinking that I really don't need all this plastic and foam. My first 40 did well without it, early Land Cruisers had less stuff there. Maybe I'll just do without dash pads? The paint looks great under it, focus on the windshield knobs and enamel coated sheet metal?

For me, not having all of the soft stuff is what makes my 40 a cut above, as that stuff is cheap anyway, and every vehicle on the road is already suffocating in it.

How bad is your pad? I thought mine was a lost cause. Gave it a last ditch effort with about $35 of products from Walmart. It turned out pretty good. It's amazing what you can do with a little bit of time and effort.

image000006.jpg

image000001.jpg

image000002.jpg

image000000.jpg

image000003.jpg

The other options are to gets dashbox … new they are about 300 as well but they do show up for sale and a quick paint it’s good as new

There is also the lesser known dash tray … they show up used as well

Or do your own dash tray that’s the way I went … I like the space for those few things you need to put someplace :meh:

If your not wanting to spend that much … look up dash pad cap … or dash pad cover … a cheap alternative most likely in the $100 range

It’s a hard plastic that goes over your trashed cover

Previous owner put one on mine.

Meh. Looks okay, feels okay, but the material warped and deformed. It no longer lays flat.

How bad is your pad? I thought mine was a lost cause. Gave it a last ditch effort with about $35 of products from Walmart. It turned out pretty good. It's amazing what you can do with a little bit of time and effort.
@vpatsears Do you have a write-up on that dash pad refurb? It looks quite nice. I'm guessing the JB Weld and some plastic acceptable paint? Did it hold up well?

Quick google search and a video watch gives me the impression this guy appears to know what he's doing also. You've both encouraged me to attempt this type of fix instead of searching for replacement dash. I have no association with this video I'm posting here.

Last edited:
@vpatsears That looks great.

I wish that I hadn't spent the dough on a new OEM one. Also, I never could get it to hook properly, so it isn't even installed correct, I omitted a rail or something.

From a theoretical perspective, I wish that the dash pad was where they ran the main wire loom. Every connector for "lights" "wiper," the cigarette lighter could be routed with a grommet thru the dash to the main wire loom above the switches. Industrial looks are sometimes really desirable, but a foam dash pad could also cover it. I always hate stuffing my head under a dashboard, and I like to know which cables the mice have been chewing on.

Whats that you painted with? Thoughts about it?
I used a JB Weld Plastic Bond product. Two part, mix it like epoxy. Used it to fill in all the bad spots. Once sanded down, sprayed it with a light coat of bed liner in a can to give it some texture.

@vpatsears Do you have a write-up on that dash pad refurb? It looks quite nice. I'm guessing the JB Weld and some plastic acceptable paint? Did it hold up well?

Quick google search and a video watch gives me the impression this guy appears to know what he's doing also. You've both encouraged me to attempt this type of fix instead of searching for replacement dash. I have no association with this video I'm posting here.

I don't have a write up. Just a few pictures. Used JB Weld Plastic bond product. Two parts, mix it like epoxy. Fill in the bad spots, sand it smooth. Spray a bit of bed liner over the top for texture. I did it about a year ago, has held up so far. Give it a try!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom