73 fj40 in Easley for sale. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trollhole

THC
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Thanks Marshall for the info. As I have ordered a Tundra 2 weeks ago and adding on to my shop I need to cool it for a while but it's hard to pass up a bargain as this appears to be one.

You rebuilt the whole thing, damn boy go....got any pics.....what all did you have to replace in the diff?

LOL He just swaped one for another. THough I will say getting spider gears out is a lot easier than getting them in. Especially when the diff is in the vehicle.

oh where did he get the other 3rd from?

I swapped out the New diff for the old. As Troll said, putting the gears back in with everything aligned was a bear.

Gears would fall out and roll around in the dirt. It was as fun as jumping off a building.

The old diff has a bad main pinion bearing. I will probably replace it and sell.

Damn wish I had known you were gonna do that....Sunday I think it was on TNT, One of those car shows had pulled out the 3rd member to put in a locker on a mustang. He had a pretty easy way of puttin the guts in with out stuff fallin out. Pretty good stuff.

Actually, putting the stuff back in is easy once you figure out the process. However, there is little more than 12 square inches of free space to move your body around in when not using a lift. I thought about breaking my forearm in two additional places so that I could get more manual articultion. I figured out the purpose for that second "hole" in the rear of the carrier. It is for the placing of the small convex "washer" that you slip under the spider gear. Spider gears go in first "naked". That is, without the convex washers underneath them.

From what I could tell, the ONLY way to put the gears back in is AFTER one puts in the axles. It does not work in any other fashion. I tried.

Yes, I knew it was somewhere in the diff, not the axles or drive shatf where the problem was.

Anyway, I learned alot from this experience which is one of my objectives for having a cruiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom