73 FJ40 fuel tank well (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone make a replacement fuel tank well for a 73 FJ40? I've seen lots of replacement body panels, but nothing that will work to replace my swiss cheese gas tank well. If not, whats the best way to patch it? A body man I'm not, but I'm giving it my best go, and will get lots of experience working on this old pig.

SANY0441.jpg

Real Steel Cruiser Parts has an ebay store that has that part. It is not cheap.

Vince

I am a "Hack Artist" (and a bad artist, at that). My pan looked similar to yours (not quite as many holes.)

I figured that with the the rust working away in there, eventually, I would do something more, but in the mean time, I just cut the rusty parts out, and made sheet metal patches, and pop-riveted 'em in. I laid them in from the top, and used a good amount of silicone RTV (cualk) to keep the water out. Then I hit the pan with rustoleum, and called it good.

The hardest part was making the patches conform to the curves of the pan. I wanted a pretty good fit to keep water out.

Not too many poeple look at this part of the truck, so I didn't figure it was a big deal.

Like I said, it's a hack, but I'm just kicking the problem down the road (for a good many years, I hope, since I live in AZ).

Have fun.

Rocky

Real Steel Cruiser Parts has an ebay store that has that part. It is not cheap.

Vince

Thanks Vince.....you're right, $225 :eek:

I guess with the complexity of this part, and the fact that no one else has them, they can get it.

I am a "Hack Artist" (and a bad artist, at that). My pan looked similar to yours (not quite as many holes.)

I figured that with the the rust working away in there, eventually, I would do something more, but in the mean time, I just cut the rusty parts out, and made sheet metal patches, and pop-riveted 'em in. I laid them in from the top, and used a good amount of silicone RTV (cualk) to keep the water out. Then I hit the pan with rustoleum, and called it good.

The hardest part was making the patches conform to the curves of the pan. I wanted a pretty good fit to keep water out.

Not too many poeple look at this part of the truck, so I didn't figure it was a big deal.

Like I said, it's a hack, but I'm just kicking the problem down the road (for a good many years, I hope, since I live in AZ).

Have fun.

Rocky

I've seen some tin benders that could take a flat piece of sheet metal and form it right in there, and it would look like a factory piece. Unfortunately I don't know of any here. My thoughts were to do like you did....cut out the cancer and patch in some sheet metal, seal it up and call it a day. Especially since I couldn't find any replacements available. I'll probably just patch it for the time being too, and get the panel when I have $225 burning a hole in my pocket. I have too many other things to do to get this thing on the road to worry about it too much. I'm planning on using a rhinoliner type finish on the inside, so that'll help cover it up and seal it. My main concern is not trapping water in there and rotting out another gas tank.

Um, PigHeaded...while I'm not going to argue your right to call your rig whatever you want, "Pig", "Old Pig" and "Rusty Old Pig" (among others) are phrases pretty much copyrighted and reserved for the real Pigs, the Iron Pigs, the FJ55s.
Also, PigHeaded, Pighead wants to know where you came up with your 'Mudname...

Does anyone make a replacement fuel tank well for a 73 FJ40? I've seen lots of replacement body panels, but nothing that will work to replace my swiss cheese gas tank well. If not, whats the best way to patch it? A body man I'm not, but I'm giving it my best go, and will get lots of experience working on this old pig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom