73 FJ40 flasher (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

POTATO LAUNCHER

TLCA #6928
Threads
Doing a road trip in my 73 FJ40, blinkers have quit but the fuse is good. All connections are good and grounded, running lights and stop function properly. Will a standard parts store flasher work? Possibly a hazard switch issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Current location is Carson National Forest north central NM.

Nope, no 4ways. The function would be normally closed contact and flasher opens for flash operation, correct? My thought is that the flasher contact is open. They stopped working about a hundred miles into my trip.

is the blinker rod properly seated in your blinker switch ?

No rod on this year 40. Ignition is on the column. Is the hazard switch in the same circuit as the turn signals? It makes sense but don't really want to dismantel the dashand rebuild the switch unless I get hasseled by the law. Stop and running lights still function.

TS and 4-way flashers are on separate circuits. Flashers are always hot, will work without key in. TS run through ignition switch, need key turned to on position to work. Both run through the hazard switch which switches from one circuit to the other. From there both circuits run to the flasher unit. Since both are not working, I would guess problem lies with the flasher unit. At least that is how it is wired in my 75 40.

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that was the case. Ill start with the hazard switch when I get home. I'm thinking that has been the issue. Does anyone know if a cheap parts store flasher is compatible?

To perhaps ease your mind, in most of NM you do not have to indicate with lights if you use hand signals. The NM Uniform Traffic Ordinance 2010 compilation (which is adopted by most municipalities and conforms with State law) says at § 12-6-5.8 and § 12-6-5.9 through 12-6-5.10 that hand signals may be used in lieu of lighted indicators (If your rig is RHD, you are SOL as the Code requires that signals be given out of the left window).

Good luck!

And just quietly, no-one indicates here anyway, so you'll fit right in.

Muchas Garcias Chamba! I am traveling as much as possible sans doors so this will work fine. Those are national traffic code hand signals I'm assuming. The ih8mud hand signal would probably bring unwanted attention.

Muchas Garcias Chamba! I am traveling as much as possible sans doors so this will work fine. Those are national traffic code hand signals I'm assuming. The ih8mud hand signal would probably bring unwanted attention.

They are the standard hand signals used internationally:
*Left turn: hand down and arm extended horizontally;
*Right turn: hand and arm extended upward; and
*Stop or decrease speed: hand and arm extended downward (though this will not matter to you as your brakes work).

If you get a really stupid cop (we seem to be blessed with a plethora here) then tell him that your arm signals are defined within § 66-7-327 of the NMSA 1978.

Only use the Mud welcome when he's not looking.

I figured as much. Been up here multiple times in it but this is the only roadtrip issue in almost 19 years of owning it. Yeah I could probably fix it but I'm on vacation and it really is more of an inconvenience than a safety issue.

Update on the flasher issue. Hazard switch was dirty but functioning properly, flasher works perfectly. However the hazard switch to wiring harness connector had 40 years of corrosion and was not making contact at all. Simple fix really just a pain on the side of the road. Thanks to all that responded, had no issues with Johnny law for the 300 mile drive home.
Get your Cruisers out and do a roadtrip in it occasionally, its good for the soul. You don't realize the sight, sound and smells you miss in the closed up airconditioned vehicles of today. Your kids will remember it forever.
Thanks again, Casey

Get your Cruisers out and do a roadtrip in it occasionally, its good for the soul. You don't realize the sight, sound and smells you miss in the closed up airconditioned vehicles of today.

/this\ a gazillion :steer:

Get your Cruisers out and do a roadtrip in it occasionally, its good for the soul. You don't realize the sight, sound and smells you miss in the closed up airconditioned vehicles of today. Your kids will remember it forever.

/this\ a gazillion :steer:

/this\ x2 gazillion! Them modern contrivances put me to sleep, there's nothing left to do but snooze.

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom